November 8, 2009

Material Things

Something popped into my head just now, as I was watching Judge Judy on You Tube. Weird, I know. So I wanted to just get a blog post done about it.

On Saturday, when we were at my mother-in-law's and hanging out in the garage right before we left, KB had asked Master about the interview that He had on Thursday. So Master was explaining it. Master also explained that He had another company that was possibly interested in setting up and interview for Master.

As soon as that was out of His mouth His mother said something along the lines of, "Well maybe you could get both jobs!"

I looked at her a little weird. I mean, our goal right now is just to get Master employed. So we're taking this a step at a time. She sees this look on my face and she says, "Well if He works two jobs, and you keep working your one job you guys could buy a house in no time!"

I just blinked, and that was about it.

Okay yes, Master and I talk about owning a condo, or a townhouse, or whatever at some point in the future. But with how finances have been, we've been mainly focused on keeping our rent current. Which we are. Above all things, rent is paid in full and on time. We do not want a repeat performance of when we had back rent due and owing. Fuck that.

Also, we are focusing on keeping our bills paid. Again, they are. The phone and internet bill (which is through one company) is one month behind. But that will be rectified once Master's unemployment comes through. And then we will be also setting aside "emergency funds" from the back dated payments of His unemployment. Other than that, all of our bills are current. Which, needless to say is a hell of a lot better than where we were the last time we were skimming by on one paycheck.

So all and all I feel that Master and I are doing well. I'm not thinking about buying a home right now. Plus, to be honest with our credit we'd have to save up a large portion of money as a down payment.

So, what bothers me about her statement?

A few things.

One is that it always seems that no matter how well we're doing, it isn't good enough in her eyes. We should have a house, and two fully paid off cars right now, is the way she comes across when she talks about such things. Well we don't.

We have a two bedroom apartment and one fully paid off car that is in good repair. I'm not trying to live up to her standards. And I'm also not trying to keep up with her.

Sometimes when she talks that way I want to look at her and go, "Well you wouldn't even have your condo, fully paid off, and your $50,000 car, again fully paid off, if it wasn't for your last ex husband cheating on you and deciding he wanted to leave you for this other woman and then feeling guilty about it. Why? Because you got those things as a pay off in the divorce so you wouldn't go after your legal right to half of what his property and business was worth. Which in all honesty was significantly more."

That's the bitch in me coming out.

Second, I am also not a materialistic person.

Would I like to own a home? Yes, I would. I would love to. But that is not my main concern at the moment. It will happen eventually. I like my few creature comforts, and that's about it. I am thankful that I have a roof over my head.

There are other things on my "to do" list, that come way before saving up for a home.

You know, like paying off a loan that we have. (One more year!). Then there is getting a new computer so we have one that we don't have to worry about it dumping out on us.  And probably getting a second car.

And last but not least, I am not the type of person that believes in living to work. I work to live. Simple as that. And why the hell does Master have to work two jobs but I'm okay just working my 9 - 5? What the hell kind of bullshit is that? If we both want to own a home and the only way to do that is to generate as much money as we possibly can, and we are both physically and mentally capable of working... why shouldn't we both be working two jobs?

I would much rather have to save up a little bit longer, and each of us work one job, than one or both of us working two jobs and going, "Hey who are you?" when we happen to pass by one another in the hallway.

Life is short. I want to spend as much time with my Husband as I can. I don't want to look back on my life in say 30 years and go, "Wow. Yes I have nice things, but look at all that time that is gone that we could have had together." Fuck that.

Does that mean I don't sometimes tease myself by looking at condos and town homes? No. I totally do. It's nice to dream every now and again. But that doesn't mean I need it right now. It's a long term goal. One that will eventually be achieved.

One day, hopefully, my mother-in-law will learn that her goals and our goals are two totally different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment