January 9, 2009

Glasses

I think I've mentioned in previous posts about how I need to get my eyes checked and probably need better glasses.Well, today Master had to work and I have the day off so I decided to research some places that are close by.

We don't have vision insurance so it's all going to be out of pocket expense.

A few years ago I had a job where I had to read a lot of small print I had noticed how it was getting harder to do so, and things were getting a little fuzzy when I was reading. At that time I did have vision insurance and so it wasn't as big of a deal. It turned out that I needed glasses only for when I was reading or I was on a computer.

I admit, that since I never needed glasses before that I was self conscious about it. I didn't like wearing them. I still don't really like wearing them. Due to the type of insurance that I had, I had to go with a rather cheap pair because the "nicer" eyeglasses were not covered by the insurance and it was not an expense that I could afford. They are plastic frames, and so not all that durable and in my opinion not very "attractive".

I also admit that because I didn't like wearing them when I first got them I only wore them at work and not at any other time. Stupid of me, because that's probably why these glasses aren't cutting it anymore. My eyes seem to have gotten worse.

It also probably does not help that I am at a computer for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week just for work and then when I get home well.. computers are my guilty pleasure so where am I? Yep. At the computer.When I got the job I'm at currently I started wearing my glasses at work and then would take them off and never wear them at home.

Now? Yeah. I wear them if I'm on the computer or if I'm reading a book. Other than that I don't wear them because I can see everything else pretty much fine. There is a bit of fuzziness, but nothing to bad.

Again, I don't like wearing them because I don't feel... sexy in them. I do not feel I look as good with them on. Sad, isn't it?

Master says I look fine in them. He's biased. ;-)

So after I'm done taking care of the dog this afternoon I decide to start researching some eye care places that are relatively close by. Holy shit are some of these places expensive! And some of their customer service really sucks.

What I would do was find a place's website and do a store search. Then, since most of them didn't have price lists online, they only had sale advertisements I would call them. I asked how much an eye exam was first and then write down the price and call the next place.

The "bigger" companies that I called were of course more expensive but when I called and asked for times they were there and the prices they were pretty snotty on the phone. One of the places, after I inquired about their prices immediately started pressuring me to make an appointment. I very politely informed the receptionist that I was not ready to make an appointment because I was still trying to figure out  my options and choose the best one for me. I thanked her for her time and she said, "Well, you know.. just because we take walk ins doesn't mean it's a good idea. You really should make an appointment."

So I said, "I understand that ma'am. I will call back to make an appointment if I decide to go to (insert name of company here)." She said, "Fine," and then hung up. Yeah, so not going there. I wouldn't care if they had been the best deal out there, although they aren't.. if they act that way on the phone I'm not letting them fuck with my eyes! No way. (I work in customer service. I have all my life. So I'm very big on that when I am seeking service from a business.)

Then I find a place that is running a deal where you get a free eye exam and you buy two pairs of glasses for around $70. Wow. That's a good deal! So I figure that I better call and see what their "normal" prices are, thinking that this deal is only a limited time and we may not have the money while the deal is going on.

I get a wonderful lady on the phone and she answers all of my questions very politely. She tells me the price of an exam without purchasing glasses, which is very reasonable.

She then tells me that the free eye exam and two pairs of glasses for $70 runs all the time it just depends which frames are included. Right now it is included most of their frames and runs until the end of the month. She even offered up the information that if the eye care doctor feels my eyes need to be dilated that it will cost an additional $20, which I appreciated. She gave me their store hours, told me how long it would take for my glasses to be in, etc and so on. So I ceased my search and decided that that is were I'm going to go once we do have the funds for me to make an appointment.

1. Great deals.

2. Wonderful customer service.

3. Close to home.

Yes. We have a winner! The problem is going to be finding a time where I can make the appointment once we figure out when we'll have the funds and also when we'll both have off of work so Master can take me in case they do have to dilate my eyes. We'll figure it out.

I wish I could get contacts. I really, really do. But they are expensive and I have an astigmatism, which means it's even more expensive. Fun. Oh well. Glasses it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment