November 22, 2011

Head Desk

Today started like any other work day. I showed up, I clocked in, I did my thing. I went to lunch and when I got back there was an e-mail from my supervisor stating that we were having a meeting at 2pm. Joy.

Normally department meetings seem rather pointless and just a general overview of shit I already know with maybe some very minor changes. But not today. Oh no, not this meeting.

I can't get into a lot of detail about what I do exactly. Let's just say that it deals with extremely confidential information and there is a lot riding on it. So needless to say when things change you better fucking pay attention. With the smaller changes it's no big deal. I just make some notes, create a sticky note to post on my monitor and then once I'm used to the new smaller process I take it down. Easy as pie.

The meeting today, however, was about a major fucking change. Major as in holy fucking hell this is going to take forever to get used to. And of course the change is to the main thing I do day in and day out. And guess what? The change goes into effect next week and there is no way for me to try and get used to it before hand. There is no "Oh well I have some time to dip my toes in and slowly get used to it."

No I have to dive in head first. Once the change happens it goes into effect immediately.

I can't even play with the change until it actually goes into effect due to how our system is being updated. Needless to say I had a headache by the time the hour long meeting was over. Oh, get this. I asked a lot of questions. My supervisor only had the answer to maybe half of them. The rest was "I don't know." or "We'll have to cross that bridge when we get there."

I don't like doing that. I like having everything laid out so that I have something to reference if I get stuck. I don't want to have to go ask three different people and possibly get three different answers. I want to know now. This is my job after all. I still need to keep up with my case load and that's going to be difficult enough with this major change, let alone having to stop and hunt people down when I reach something we didn't have an answer to during the meeting. Oh, and not only do I have to stay on top of my case load... When this change goes into effect whatever wasn't already completed by the start date I have to then go back and update to the new way of doing things. So things I've been working on for the past two months, if they aren't completed by the middle of next week, I'll have to go over again and change everything. This means going over all the information I already had and possibly having to get new info so it is up to the new standards. Some things I'm working on currently have been in the works for, I shit you not, five months. And now I get to dig through all that and match it up to the new bullshit.

Fuck. Me. Running.

Needless to say the next month or so is going to be hectic while all this shit settles into place. Fun for me!

3 comments:

  1. oh gawd... HUGE HUGS (i'm betting your jobs in the government sector, only they could be this fucked up)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know- I have been really down in the dumps about being at home now and things not really being how I had envisioned (especially with my teen terror). But treading this reminded me of all the BS at my prior career. I am sorry you have to stress - I know what you mean about working hard on things for months only for them to change. ope the changes are a smooth as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vixen: Close, but no cigar. ;-) *hugs back*

    Viemoira: Thank you. :-) Yeah this change makes any other prior bitching I've done about any job seem like a walk in the park.

    ReplyDelete