December 3, 2009

Calm, Cool, Collected

At least that's what I'm going for. Although that isn't how I was when I first found out.

Wondering what the hell I'm talking about? Read on.

Today was like any other weekday has been. I got up. I went to work. I worked.

Then the last hour of work came around. Master called me when He got out of work like He usually does. He sounded upset. My first thought was that something had happened to one of our animals. Seriously, that was the thought that ran through my head. "Holy shit something is wrong with the dog or one of the rabbits!"

Thankfully that was not the case.

However, I was not even remotely considering what had actually happened.

Master was fired from His job today.

Let that sink in a minute.

*waits*

This is the job that He had been after for over two months, since before He quit His last job. The one that went through all the trouble of sending Him to a clinic for a drug test and a full body physical. They then hired Him. For three fucking weeks. He was at that job for three weeks, and today, at the end of the day, His supervisor fired Him.

Master had been going to work each day, on time, never taking long breaks or leaving early. He was scheduled to work 8 hours of overtime this upcoming Saturday. He went above and beyond His job duties. He never talked back, He kept His mouth shut and did what He was told to do, and then some.

But the supervisor walked up to Him, and told Him that he didn't think Master was a good fit for the company. *blinks*

We don't understand. Now some of you may be sitting there after reading the paragraph where I describe what Master was doing two paragraphs above this one and going, "Well yeah, no shit. That's what you're supposed to do."

Which it is. You're right. But I went through the trouble of writing that out because we have no idea why He was fired besides the fact that the supervisor said Master wasn't a good fit. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

So. Yeah.

After we got off the phone I sat there for a moment stunned. Then I started crying. But it was the type of crying where you know you're in public and you don't want people to notice you're crying.

Well my coworker did notice, and she pulled me into the bathroom and I broke down. I told her Master was just fired, and that we had spent over $100 on clothes specifically for that job because it was required. Then we had just spent over $100 on work clothes for me. And Christmas is coming up. And we don't know what the unemployment situation will be now, or how long it will take for Him to find another job.

Basically I just was rambling. She gave me a hug, and for as much as I complain about her, she is a nice woman. She told me that everything was going to be okay. She said she would pray for us. And I know she is very much a believer in her religion, and so I took that to heart and thanked her. It isn't my religion, but the thought is appreciated none the less.

I calmed myself down and went back to my desk. I then went into my supervisor's office and said that I was sorry it was such short notice, but I had just gotten some bad news and I was wondering if I could cancel having off on New Year's Eve, and have off tomorrow instead. He said that would be fine and said that if something was up at home I should take care of that. He even went so far as to say that he appreciated the fact that I was canceling my other day off, instead of calling in sick.

Why did I want tomorrow off? Well, there is a lot of shit we have to handle, and I can't do it from work. We have to get a hold of unemployment and sort all that shit out. We have to figure out a new budget. We have to figure out a plan of action. Master is now debating whether He should enroll in college. Part of the problem with the job market is that they either want a college degree (which Master currently doesn not have) or at least two years experience in the given field, if not more.

Master is more of a jack of all trades, so He doesn't really have a defined skill set. He is a quick learner, but when applying for jobs they don't really take that into account. They want a degree, or they want experience. Most of Master's experience is in customer service (retail) which doesn't pay very well and want teenagers usually, and general labor. Which again the market isn't looking to hot on that front either.

So I'm sure we'll also be looking into His options as far as college goes as well.

Now pretty much everything but the unemployment thing could have waited until the weekend. But once I got a hold of myself, I basically let instinct take over and it was telling me to start hammering this shit out now.

Thankfully we still have some money set aside for emergencies. But I'm hoping we don't have to touch it.

Once I got home from work I told Master I took the day off tomorrow, and explained why. He said He agreed with my decision. I'm still getting paid for that day, so no loss there.

We hugged one another and we talked. We ate dinner, and now we're just letting all of this sink in a bit more. But I have a grip on myself and I'm pretty calm right now.

So back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment