December 15, 2009

Holidays Are Here

Christmas is next week. Next fucking week.

And while I am no longer a Lutheran, which is what I was raised in case you wanted to know, I still celebrate Christmas to a point. And that point is going to visit my family members, and getting people gifts. That's it.

Then again that's all it really was when I was growing up as well. Although we did go to church on Christmas Eve. (That was the only time we went to church unless it was for a funeral.) And that was only because of my grandmother, my great grandparents, and my great aunt. All of which are no longer on this Earth, I am sad to say.

My immediate family (mother, father, brother) were/are not very religious at all. My mother claims to believe in God and I know she prays. But aside from that.. *shrugs* My father still claims to be a Lutheran although he shows no signs of actually practicing the faith. And my brother, well I do believe he is an atheist.

We're a nice well rounded bunch aren't we?

But for whatever reason, I still treat that day as if it is special. As if I have to get together with my family. And it's more for traditions sake than any other reason. Especially for my grandfather. He is 70 years old and no one knows how much longer he has on this Earth. He wanted to make it to 70, because no other male in his family had done so. He has accomplished that, and he'll tell you flat out that he wants to go be with Grandma now. It's been about 15 years now since she has passed.

My grandfather called this evening to make sure Master and I were coming to dinner on Christmas. I promised him that we would. I still have to nail down a time for my mother's house. And this weekend I will be calling my mother-in-law to figure out Christmas Eve. (Master's family always celebrated on Christmas Eve.)

Master and I only have a few gift cards left to buy and our shopping for the holidays is done. Thankfully.

But the main thing I'm looking forward to next week is the four day weekend! Whoo-hoo! Although with all of the family time, I'm sure the first two days of that extended weekend will fly by.

Everyone at work is talking about what they are doing for the holidays, and what they are getting people, etc and so on.

So yes. It really is around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment