July 24, 2010

"Thank you for calling tech support..."

How may I help you?

I can not tell you how many times my mother has asked me for help with her computers. With certain things I refuse to help her. Like these stupid ass programs she insists on downloading to her computer and putting on her task bar, and then whines how slow her damn PC is. No shit Sherlock! But with normal things, sure not a problem.

Well it seems that my mother-in-law has caught on that I know a thing or two about computers.

She called today and wanted to know if Master and I could come down. Sure not a problem. She wanted me to help set up her new computer. She said that if her and/or her husband did it, it would take two days. WTF? That's a long ass time. So anyway, I said sure not a problem. We headed down there, and ended up taking a very scenic route. Stupid flooded river made us drive all over the fucking place to find a road that wasn't closed off.

So we get there and Master opens all the boxes, and then lets me do my thing. The computer set-up went flawlessly. I had it up, working, internet connected, and all that in less than an hour. Then came her new printer. That wasn't a problem either. My problem was her husband asking me question, after question, after question without first answering his first one.That and her new computer has Windows 7 and she's use to Windows XP. Windows 7 isn't that bad. It's really easy to navigate.

Master and I are using XP as well, and so does my job. I had honestly never used Windows 7 before, but I found it very easy to get around in.

We ate dinner, and had dessert. By that time it was a little after 9pm. We headed out, with her old computer tower and old printer in tow. I had also gotten my brother's old computer tower yesterday when we visited my mother.

So I was all excited thinking maybe we'd finally be done with our's. You know, the one that I have to destructively restore every few months just so it will continue to function? Yeah. That one.

So we get home and the minute I walk in the door my mother-in-law calls and says her speakers don't work. Weird. So I have her check everything I can possibly think of. Nothing doing. I then told her to flip through her user manual and get back to me tomorrow if she still can't figure it out. Or she can call tech support for her comp. I have no idea why they wouldn't be working.

Maybe she dicked with something she shouldn't have, already. Who knows.

So then Master and I plug in her old comp and fire it up. Holy. Fucking. Shit. There was  a lot on there. Tons of just... crap. A folder for one document. You know, stupid shit. Programs galore. It was just insane. Then I find out she didn't give me the restore CD, and also her tower is older than ours.

Okay so we junked it. I then tried my brother's old PC. Again no restore CD, and this thing took, I shit you not, 15 minutes to fully boot up. Same thing. Tons and tons of shit. Just... Wow. I was honestly disgusted by how much crap was on both of these computers. So I washed my hands of that one too. I wasn't dealing with it, and without a restore CD, well... that would make it difficult to get it where I needed it.

So we have ours connected once more. But at least our desk is clean.

Once the computer was back on and functioning, I took my bath. It's almost midnight already.

It's been a tech day. I just hope that my mother-in-law doesn't do to her new computer (which has a TERABYTE  worth of memory on it) what she did to her last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment