July 23, 2010

Confusing Morning

Last night we had some pretty strong storms roll through. Our tornado sirens even went off! Whoo-hoo for us! Our power went in and out quite a bit, but thankfully didn't stay off.

Today however, was a very confusing morning. Actually, it all started last night when the storms were really coming on strong. MZ, the driver in the carpool for work, sent me a text saying that she wasn't sure if she would be able to go to work tomorrow. She lives in a rather low part of town, and she was flooded in. As it was, she had wanted to go to work an hour early, so we were all planning on getting up at 5am anyway. (That is an ungodly hour, by the way.)

So I told her to just text me in the morning after she was awake and had a chance to take a peek outside. So, we went to bed and in the morning once I was able to think I took a look at my cell phone. She had sent a text saying that she was still flooded and would in fact not be going into work today.

So I text AM, the other person in the car pool, and see what he wants to do. It was our half day Friday (meaning we get out at noon) but our job sees that as a privledge, so if you don't have a damn good excuse for calling in on your half day, they will take it away for a period of time. Since I am in limbo on my transfer, I can't afford any disciplinary actions. So I knew I was going one way or the other. He said he wanted to go in too, as his part of town was fine. So I offered to come pick him up, but closer to our usual time of leaving. He said that was fine.

So I hopped in my car and ran down to the gas station. Thankfully it was pay day today, because I had to fill the gas tank. It was damn near on empty. I came back home, dropped off a pack of cigs for Master and some soda for the apartment, and then took the dog out.

I was rushing around during all of this because I was a bit nervous about how the roads would be once we got out of town, so I get all the way back to the main apartment building door with the dog and I realize I left my damn keys inside. You have got to be kidding me.

So I'm standing there with Radar staring at me like, "What the fuck is your problem lady? Open the damn door."

I had a few options. I could stand there and hope someone walked out. But most people had already left for work by this point. So that was out, as I didn't know how long I would be standing there. I thought about ringing the doorbell, but didn't think Master would hear it. Then I realized, that since I had my jacket on, I had my cell phone with me as it was in the jacket pocket. So I call the house phone, wake Master up (and feeling bad about that), and have Him come let me in. I felt like an idiot. I take the dog outside every morning before work. And this time, day of all days, I left my damn keys in there.

So Master lets me in, and then shuffles back off to bed.

I relax for a little while and just as I'm about to head out the door MZ sends me another text saying the road in front of her house is now clear and that she could still pick us up. So I mull it over for a minute and then say, "Sure!" thinking that I'll save some gas in my car. No skin off my nose.

So I sit there for another 15 minutes, getting nervous cause if she doesn't show up soon we're going to be late to work. I hate being late to work. It makes my whole day feel rushed.

She calls. I answer and ask if she's outside. Nope. She tried every possible way out of the area she lives in. One way there is 5ft of water. Another way there is a barricade due to more flooding. And the other? Nothing but mud with two cars already stuck in it.

*sigh*

So again she says that she can't go into work. I tell her not to worry about it and to stay safe.

I call AM, and say "I'll be there as soon as I can!"

I rush out to my car and once I'm in the driver's seat I force myself to calm down, because if I rush while driving it's not going to be safe. So I calm down after a couple of minutes and get to AM's house. He hops in the car, and we head off to work. Again, I'm taking my time, but am not to happy about it. I'm cussing out traffic, because the interstate was backed up, I'm yelling at drivers cause they are fucking retarded. Etc.

Then finally I'm able to do the speed limit and what happens? Some jag off in the other lane cuts me off so damn close that I had to slam on my brakes just so he wouldn't take my front bumper off.

I was quite shocked when I clocked in and had a minute to spare before I was technically late.

Then the morning work rush starts, as everyone and their damn brother wants everything, and wants it now.

I get through my four hours of work, and then leave. I dropped AM off and got home. Master got dressed while I took the dog out, and then we headed to His home town to meet up with my mother for a few hours. We hang out, have a good time, and then parted ways.

Master and I got back home, put some stuff away that my mother had given us, and then Master allowed me to take a nap.

About an hour later, He woke me up. I woke up a bit, realized we were both hungry, and ran out to get food.

During dinner we watched a really cute movie called "Planet 51". I took my bath, and am now relaxing and just enjoying the evening.

Needless to say it's been a very long damn day.

No comments:

Post a Comment