February 11, 2011

*Sigh*

Every year around this time seems to be the same shit. As I'm sure most of you know Valentine's Day is on Monday. Master and I do not celebrate such. I remember one year it was around Valentine's Day and I went to Walgreens to pick up something we needed. And I saw this awesome teddy bear that had devil horns, a plush pitchfork, and a cape on. And I thought it was the coolest thing. So I bought it and gave it to Master. Master of course loved it because He thought the bear was pretty cool, and named it Devil Bear. Devil Bear now sits on our dresser in the bedroom. And we both still think he's cool.

But I didn't buy it for Him because Valentine's Day was close. I bought it for Him because I saw it and thought He would get a kick out of it. And I think that's how it should be. Aside from birthdays, Christmas, and an anniversary, I really don't see the point of picking one particular day to give someone you love a gift. And with us I really think the only reason we do Christmas is because we were both raised in Christian families.

So when something like Valentine's Day or Sweetest Day comes around I start to groan. Not because I think I have to get Master something, because I don't. But because now I get to hear everyone else talk about what they are getting their significant other or what they expect their significant other to get them.

Today at work one of the women I sit by got flowers and a balloon from her husband for Valentine's Day. It was nice and all, but she was saying how she better get something else besides that, cause she could "tell" that he didn't spend a lot of money on it. Such things do not make sense to me. So I stayed quiet. Next thing I know all the other women by me start talking about what their boyfriend or husband better get them, and how it better be better than the last year, and how if they don't get anything their man is in the dog house.. etc...etc...etc..

It reminds me of the year after my mother-in-law got a divorce. She didn't want the divorce and I understand that, but she had us come down and have dinner with her for Valentine's Day. No big deal. So we go down and she was upset, obviously. But it wasn't because of anything that would be logical. Oh no. She told us how she was so embarrassed at work when her friends started getting flowers and candies that she actually called up a florist and had flowers delivered to her at work. Yeah. She sent herself flowers so no one would think she was less important then they were. It was sad as hell.

I couldn't imagine sending myself a gift like that. That's crazy.

Most of the women at my job get flowers and balloons and what not. It doesn't bother me. And of course it leads to the, "Well what did your husband get you?"

Nothing. We don't celebrate it. I get a lot of weird looks about it. And then I tell them that even if He did get me something I wouldn't want flowers because they'll just die in a few days. I'd rather go out to dinner or get a stuffed animal from Him. Something that I can keep for a long time. Like the tigers Master got me, or the two teddy bears I have from Him. But again those we gifts for no reason or because it was my birthday or because it was our anniversary.

So yeah. The joys of Hallmark holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment