January 26, 2010

Being The Go To Person

Okay, the family drama is still going on, and I'll get to that in a moment.

Work today was okay. I was tired all day long. I felt like I was going to nod off at my desk a few times. But I got my work done. The rest of this week, work wise, is going to be busy, busy, busy. The replacement chair my supervisor ordered for me came in today, and was at my desk when I got back from lunch. It is a lot more comfortable and I don't feel like I have to hunch forward all of the time anymore.

Master had been waiting for Mass Effect 2 to come out since He finished the first installment of that game series. That game came out today, and He was at the store to pick it up as soon it opened. The problem was that His Xbox 360 Elite is currently down and we are waiting for the shipping label to be sent to us so we can have it sent in for repairs.

So I suggested to Master that we find a used Xbox 360 to use as a backup system for when this kind of thing happens. We rely on the Xbox 360 quite a bit for entertainment. We both play video games, we watch stream able movies on Netflix, we download movies from the marketplace. All that happy horse shit.

So when it's down, since we don't have cable or anything like that, we have the computer, Magic cards, and checkers. And trust me, we've done it before, three weeks of just that makes you crazy. Especially when you both want to use the computer at the same time.

So I called a few places and found a used Xbox 360 for $140. I called Master's cell phone and told Him. He said He was on His way. He picked one up and got it home. He set it up and the damn thing didn't work. Thankfully, it automatically comes with a 90 day warranty, and so Master immediately took it back to the store and got a different one. He even bitched them out because this particular store has screwed us in the past, and it is a store that we use as a last resort these days.

This one thankfully works. Now we have a backup system for when the main one is down. Yay! Master is extremely happy at the moment and when I got home from work I got a lot of hugs and kisses as a thank you for finding a way to swing that into our budget. Gotta keep the man happy ya know. ;-)

Okay. So on to the family drama.

My mom called me not 20 minutes before I started this blog post. Apparently my brother and his ex are going rounds on this, that and the other thing. Which is only natural with such a sudden break up.

Bro has never been through what I call an "adult break up". He's done the teenage breakups before, but those are so much easier.

"Here are your CDs back. Give me back my jacket." = done deal in teenage break ups.

Adult breakups include lease agreements, car arrangements, past debt, current bills, children (in this case between my brother and his ex), the list continues.

They have only been officially over for less than four days. So it's a lot of drama right now and a lot of back and forth. She is still trying to treat him like he's at her beck and call and he's starting to put his foot down about it. She's not liking that too much.

So since Bro is staying at Mom's house she is of course privy to all of the little bits of information and whenever Bro and his ex have a fight or talk he tells my mom, because aside from Master and myself he doesn't have many other people to talk to.

So as soon as Bro is out of the room, she calls me and tells me I should have a pep talk with him. So this time, I told Mom no. I told her that he needs to figure this stuff out on his own. If he wants to call me and ask for advice, that's one thing. But I'm not going to call him and start telling him how he should handle things. His ex has been dictating his life for over 6 years now. It's time for him to figure out how to handle his own shit, granted with some guidance if he wants it, but still.

My main point to Bro has been, and will continue to be, that he needs to get a job. This will make his situation more bearable and he'll be able to contribute to his children's care. I offered to help him create a resume. I'm good at making them, in my own humble opinion.

Sometimes when family stuff goes down I feel like the only one who is able to cut through the shit and go "A to B to C. Done." My mom has an anxiety disorder, so she freaks out rather easily unless it's medically related. But if it deals with emotions she has to have a while to sort through it all before she can think about it clearly, even if she isn't directly involved. So she calls me for advice.

For my brother, he is quick to get pissed off and not think clearly, or revert to what is "normal" for him.

My dad? My dad prefers to be a friend than a father figure. Bro and I can joke around with him and what not, but when a conversation turns serious he clams up.

No wonder Master thought I was adopted when He first met my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment