January 3, 2012

Retired

Master and I have been talking about "weaning" me off my collar and cuff once I get a ring with His birthstone in it, for work purposes. I have a ring picked out, but now I'm not sure if I can wear it or not. The metal, per the website, is "925-Sterling". I have a nickel allergy, so I'm not 100% sure I can wear it. I'm sure I can call a jewelry store and find out.

But apparently my body had other ideas in regards to weaning me off my collar and cuff. Tonight, shortly after my last blog post, I was sitting on the couch and we were watching Netflix. I was rubbing my shoulder where it meets my neck and I realized that I had a grouping of small bumps that itched. Immediately I started to worry. I know what that means.

Master asked what was wrong so I told Him that I felt a small grouping of pimple like bumps. He also knows what that means.

He told me to show Him. So I knelt in front of His chair and He moved my hair and the collar. Sure as shit it was my nickel allergy acting up. Fuck.

The reason why we bought this collar is because it was stated as hypoallergenic. It's made of stainless steel. I had gone through several leather collars before being "promoted" to the final collar, which is my Eternity Collar.

I can't say that I didn't get a good amount of time out of it. I've been wearing the collar for about 6 years. But now, I can't wear it. Master will not allow it and I completely understand why. If I were to continue to wear it the skin allergy would just get worse and worse. We've been there, done that with previous leather collars that had metal rings on them.

My cuff is also from Eternity Collars. I am having no reaction to that. But then again on the collar it's right where the screw is to take it on and off.  The screw on my cuff never really touches my skin because of how it sits.

As Master took my collar off I started to get emotional. I didn't cry although it felt like I was going to. He reassured me by saying I wasn't being demoted and that I may still wear my cuff. He said that my body just kind of forced the whole weaning process. There is no point in ordering a new one (they have titanium ones) because we'll just receive it in order to wean myself off of it. That's just a waste of money really.

I feel naked without it. I really, really do. When you wear something for that long it feels really weird without it. This also means that tomorrow will be my first full day not wearing it. For some reason I feel anxious about it. It was my security blanket, just as much as my wedding ring is.

Thankfully when we ordered our wedding rings we made sure to get titanium. I don't know how badly I would flip out if suddenly I had to stop wearing my wedding ring.

But like Master said, at least I still have my cuff on. And hopefully sometime in the very near future I can get a ring with His birthstone in it.

My neck feels weird.

P.S. - We are keeping the collar for sentimental reasons, just as we will when the cuff comes off. It's in a nice safe place where I can look at it every now and then.

6 comments:

  1. You're not the only one I know who reacted with the Eternity Collar. A good friend of mine's mom did too. Turns out the collar is coated with a finish, which wears off and boom--allergic reaction. She ended up not reacting to Ring of Steel collars, which are plain, uncoated 316LVM steel, which contains no nickel. I know you're not going to be wearing a collar since you plan to move up professionally, but it's a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least it didn't wear off for six years. I honestly can't say I didn't get my moneys worth. Thank you for the recommendation but I know that we won't be getting a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 925 Sterling means that it's the minimum amount of silver to be considered "sterling silver" (92.5% silver). The research I'm finding says that generally the remaining bits are usually copper. I know that I've never reacted to sterling silver and I also have a nickel allergy, but I'm not sure I've ever worn anything sterling silver for days and months at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyson thank you very much! I really appreciate your input. (Having a nickel allergy is a bitch isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, sad that you can't wear the symbol anymore. but the collar around your heart is the most important one. /sappy

    ReplyDelete