January 24, 2012

Practical Present

When I was growing up I used to hate, literally hate, getting practical gifts. Why the hell would I want a new backpack for school when I asked for a new bike? You know, usual kid stuff. Now? It's fucking awesome. I'll take a practical gift any day of the week.

Even though my birthday is a little over 5 weeks away, my mother brought it up today while I was talking with her on my lunch break. I'm the eldest. I'm her first baby. For some reason she focuses on my birthday far in advance. It's not that we do a lot for it anymore, because we don't. I'm not complaining, I'm just stating a fact. Well she was asking me what I need. Not what I want, but what do I need. Which is honestly a better question in my eyes. When you're an adult and doing your own thing sometimes a little help with the practical side of things can help a great deal and mean more than a gift card to a restaurant ya know?

Anyway, I thought about it for a little while and I still need nicer business clothing. Yes, I'm still planning on finding a different job, one that is closer to home or at least on a simple bus route.

Well, those kind of clothes aren't cheap. And when it comes to clothes I don't see the point in spending $50 on pants. That is insanely high to me. Hell, I know some jeans can cost that much too.. but either way I won't be spending that kind of money on a pair of pants.

My mother is the same way. We do our best to find the good deals on stuff that are pretty normal things. We're not looking for the best deal on a flat screen TV and then going and paying full price for the day to day shit. Fuck that. We try to save on everything. Food, clothes, household items, cleaning products, shampoo... you get the picture.

So she said that one of the times that I come down to visit before my birthday she'll take me to a few stores to buy some business clothing. And trust me, we won't be going to Kohl's or JCPenny. We'll go to outlet stores and things of that nature.

Bonus though, since I not only am getting a helping hand with the business wear but I also get a day of bumming around with my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment