January 20, 2012

Problem Solving

Today was my half day at work and it was also payday. Apparently, both of these facts became very important.

About a half hour before I got out of work Master called me. He was out of breath and He sounded stressed. The first words out of His mouth? "We have a problem." Of course my first thought was that Master had gotten into a car accident. About an hour before this phone call Master had sent me a message saying that He was going to go put gas in the car and do some errands before I got home from work. Thankfully, I was wrong. It was something fixable. Master had gone down to the gas station, walked into the gas station to prepay and then put gas in the car. All of this went according to plan. Then He got into the car and went to start the car. Guess what? The car didn't start. It was the battery. Of course, no one at the gas station at jumper cables and of course neither did we. So Master talked to the manager of the gas station and told him what was going on with the car and asked if it would be okay to leave there until I got home from work.

I know our finances a lot better than Master does. It's part of my "job" if you will. I'm our accountant. And because of that when something goes wrong that is going to cost a bit more than usual He runs it by me first. It's not a lack of control on His part. It's not a play for control on my part. It's just easier for Him for me to keep track of our finances.

Thankfully the manager didn't have a problem with it, even though it was still parked at the gas pump. We go to that gas station all the time so they know us there. Master then had to walk home in the cold and snow (it got kind of nasty out there today). This is why He was out of breath when He called me. Poor Master.

I was able to get my carpool to drop me off at the gas station. I immediately went inside and told them that I was there. I was scared that they were going to tow it, even though they know us, simply because it was still at the pump. They said it was no problem. I had called around while I was at work to get prices on batteries for our car. The battery that was in the car is old, so I knew we needed a new one. I was planning on replacing it soon, just not this soon.

The cheapest (and closest) was Advanced Auto Parts. They were actually just a few blocks up the street from the gas station. Because of this they were willing to drive down to the gas station to jump start the car. Once that was done I followed the guy down to the store itself. I went in, paid for the battery and they installed it. The only thing they charged me for was the battery itself. Rock the fuck on. By the way, car batteries are not cheap... just in case you were wondering.

But we were able to pay for it comfortably enough, thankfully. So now we have a brand new battery in the car. We still got our errands done and now we're in for the night. Hell, Master didn't feel like cooking and I didn't really want a fend for ourselves type of night so we said fuck it and had pizza delivered. We're being lazy the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment