October 4, 2011

Wanna Go For A Ride?

One of the things that I used to love doing was to just hop in the car and go for a drive. No purpose, no real destination, just get in the car and ride around for a while. Sometimes I did it out of boredom, sometimes I did it because I found it relaxing and then there were the times I did it because I was stressed or just had a lot on my mind.

I don't know why but when I'm stressed out of just want to try and roll things around in my head driving around was one of my favorite ways of doing it. I could blast music that fit my mood, roll down the windows... and just drive.

I don't know if other people did/do this as well, but I think I enjoy it or find it some what therapeutic is because my family did a lot of "joy rides" when I was growing up.

We went to car shows near and far, we drove around just to have a good time and then stop at Dairy Queen and get some ice cream before heading back home. It was something for us to do and we all enjoyed it. My dad is a bit of a car nut. Although not as much as he use to be. He once drove to Alabama to pick up a car he bought sight unseen. These days? Well, over the past five years he has sold two of his prized possessions. One was a 1958 Chevrolet Yeoman Wagon. That was the one he drove to Alabama for. He sold that about 5 years ago because he didn't have time to work on it anymore. Then he sold his Honda Goldwing, which wasn't one of his prized possessions but he had loved it at one point. And now... well now he just sold his 1963 Cadillac. Why? Because, again, he didn't really have time to work on it.

Me? I used to have a 1988 Oldsmobile Toronado. I loved that car. It was the first car I ever bought on my own. It seemed so futuristic to me at the time. The whole dash was electronic, all green. Your speed was in bright green numbers. The console was in the middle, which I loved. I just really loved that car. She died on me and it sucked. I remember being sad when I had to get rid of her. (Yes I believe cars have a gender. The Toronado was a girl.)

I would drive her all over the place simply because I wanted to go for a car ride.

Then I had my 1993 Ford Taurus. I didn't really care for the car. I didn't particularly want it, but it was what I could afford at the time. The head gasket blew on that car and the repair was more than I paid for the car itself, so I junked the bitch.

Now I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. I love her. She is awesome. Even Master loves the car. But I know that sooner rather than later we'll have to get a newer car. I'm hoping that we can actually get a car we want instead of one we have to settle for. We both would prefer another PT Cruiser. But I know we'll end up with what we end up with. It'll all depend on finances and timing.

I wish the gas prices were cheaper. I hopped in the car tonight shortly after I got home to run down to the store and do a quick errand. As soon as I got in the car a song I really love came on. For that brief moment it took me back to the times where I would just drive around simply because I wanted to, enjoying the car and the music. What I find odd though is that I was in the car for a total of maybe 15 minutes round trip.

I miss doing that. Master and I use to go for rides for no particular reason all the time. Then again gas was a lot cheaper back then. Damn gas prices.

1 comment:

  1. How can you complain about your petrol prices? :O

    Here in Englandstan we pay $2.23 (equiv) per LITRE, 4.3 of our litres to a (US) gallon I believe... its a sad, sad day when your 3 door hatch back costs nearly $120 to fill from empty.

    Moving swiftly away from political grumblings, no harm intended with my prior posts, simple habit from my own, I think shes trying to find out how many April fools days it takes before I snap, still the outfits she makes up and wears for Halloween and Christmas make up for it.

    ReplyDelete