October 14, 2011

Ping Pong Ball

I'm waiting to crash. I felt like a ping pong ball today.

The driver of the carpool I'm in had the day off. As a result, I had to drive today. It wasn't a big deal or anything, but since I have to make up eight hours of work I left an hour early. So on the one side I got an extra hour of work in, which is a good thing. On the other hand, getting up an hour earlier than usual fucking sucks.

When I got home from work I immediately had to leave again. I needed to renew our license plates so that meant going to the DMV. I know you can pay them online or through the mail, but mine were extremely close to being expired so I didn't want to be pulled over for expired tags while I'm waiting for the damn sticker. Since it was the DMV, it took forever. Finally I get up to the counter and hand the lady my paperwork.

Normally this would be the end of it. But oh no, of course not, that would be too easy. It turns out that when I changed my name on my driver's license damn near five years ago, it didn't update in the rest of the system. So of course it came up as my maiden name. It was weird hearing it said out loud for the first time in almost five years. It took me a minute to react. So she asks for my license not once, not twice, but three times.

Each time she would hand it back to me and I would put it away thinking she gave it back because she was done with it. But she kept fucking up so she needed it back. After about fifteen minutes she gets the system to recognize my married name. I hand her the money, I get my change, my updated registration and of course the sticker. Paying that much for a piece of paper and a small sticker just seems wrong.

So I get out of the DMV and decide to get some of the smaller errands out of the way since they are on my way home. I hit the grocery store to buy soda. After that I stop by another store and pick up two coffee mugs that I really like, garbage bags and hydrocortizone. Odd combo I know.

Finally I was able to stop back home. As I walked in the door I realized we wanted to get one more errand done today. Fuck. So Master and I get back in the car. The place we need to get to is about a half hour away. Once we're done with that errand and come home, I get comfortable. Master asks what I want to do for dinner. I was starving as I hadn't had anything to eat today and we need to go grocery shopping. So I said fuck it, got dressed once more, ran to McDonald's and finally I was able to stay home and relax. All told it was about 12 hours from the time I left this morning to go to work and when I was home and able to stay home.

So yeah, I'm waiting for the moment when I just can't keep my eyes open and take a nap. Then again, normally on the Fridays that I get out at noon I end up taking a short nap so I can stay up later.

2 comments:

  1. Last time I renewed my license I ended up going four different places including the back home and the phone company for proof of address lol. I dread the DMV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy hell! That is WAY too much. Hopefully the next time you go it'll be a lot less painless.

    ReplyDelete