October 11, 2011

ER Visit

For the past week Master has been complaining about tightness in His chest and ribs. He has also been complaining about partial loss of sensation in His fingertips and the balls of His feet. I was worried, but He insisted it would go away and there was nothing to worry about. So, I shut my mouth and waited. Yesterday He told me that it was getting worse, especially on His left side.

Anything related to the left side of the body worries the hell out of me so I insisted that we take Him to the ER. He agreed. So as soon as I got home from work we hopped in the car and off to the ER we went. It took forever like ER trips normally do. I hadn't had anything to eat all day. So while we were sitting in the waiting room for a good half hour Master told me to go home and grab something to eat. So I drove home, grabbed some cookies and a soda. I took care of the animals since we had no idea what time we'd be back home and it was already 8:30pm. Once all that was done I went back to the hospital. I know I should have grabbed something more than cookies but I didn't want to sit down and have a full meal while He was in the ER.

By the time I got back they finally had Him in a room. We watched TV until the doctor came in. She did a sensory test by putting one or two sticks basically against His fingers and asked Him how many were touching Him. Most of His fingers He got it right. However, the middle finger on both hands He got it wrong. So the doctor was kind of stumped. They drew blood, took a chest x-ray and ran an EKG.

Everything came back normal, which is a good thing but didn't answer any questions. Like I said the doctor was stumped. She gave Him pain killers and a muscle relaxer prescription and sent Him home. She did say that she would be sending us a referral letter for clinics around here that will take people who don't have health insurance and bill on a sliding scale based on income. She is sending us this letter in case the partial loss of sensation continues.

I have health insurance through my job, but I couldn't afford to put Him on it as it would be an extra $200 a month and we just don't have it. It makes me feel guilty, it really does, but if we were to do that we wouldn't be able to afford our monthly bills. We are already living paycheck to paycheck so we're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

We didn't have the money for the prescriptions until Friday; as I said we're living paycheck to paycheck and the next one doesn't hit until Friday. Well, I had called His mother last night while we were still in the ER because I had some questions for her regarding family medical history. I needed the information to give to the doctor. When we got out of the ER a little after midnight I called His mom again, as she had made me promise I would, and told her what had happened. I explained everything and told her we'd have to wait until Friday to fill the prescriptions. She told me to find out how much they would cost when I go to the pharmacy in the morning (today) and give her a call. I had taken today off of work because of how late we got home and since we hadn't eaten dinner we had to do that and then I couldn't fall asleep right away. I knew that if I went into work I would be falling asleep at my desk and the whole medication thing wouldn't be figured out until I got home.

So I did exactly that. I found out the amount and called her back. She's a good 40 minutes away. She said she would pay for the prescriptions. She told me to call the pharmacy and see if they would allow her to pay for them over the phone by using her credit card. They said they won't do that. She said she could stop by after she got out of work but then Master wouldn't have the medication until about 7pm tonight. After that she asked if I could drive down to her job, pick up the card, get the meds and then drive back down to give her the card back.

That is a lot of driving but I agreed, of course, so Master wouldn't have to wait any longer than usual. So I take the 40 minute drive to pick up the card. I drove all the way back home to get the medications. I had dropped off the prescriptions before I left so that they would be filled by the time I got back. Well apparently some dumb ass forgot to put them in the system. I had been gone for a little over an hour and now had to wait an extra half hour at the store, waiting on the damn things.

So I wait, and wait, and wait some more. Finally they call me up and I paid for them. I then drove down the block to give Master the medications. I took a quick 5 minute breather and grabbed a soda. After I that I took the 40 minute drive back to my mother-in-law's job and gave her the card back. I thanked her again and she told me that it was no problem at all and that we didn't have to pay her back. Rock on.

Another 40 minute drive home and I was exhausted. I had started all this at 10am and wasn't done until 2:30pm. I felt like a ping pong ball. Since that point I've been worn out and just relaxing as much as I can. Master says that the medication is helping, thank Gods.

I swear that my Husband is some kind of medical oddity. When an ER doctor is looking at Him going, "What. The. Fuck." when they are trying to figure out what's going on, you know that it's weird. Hopefully the medication does the trick and the sensation comes back fully once His chest and ribs fully relax. I don't even know if those two things being related is possibly, but hey... I can hope.

P.S. - Since I missed today from work I have to make up 8 hours between tomorrow and next week Friday so that my paycheck isn't short. I have a feeling I'm going to be exhausted until next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment