May 5, 2014

Reading is Fun for Mentals

I saw a meme the other day that got my mind going. Yes, I know. It sounds really stupid that I would get inspiration for a post from a damn internet meme. However, it is a topic that I have wondered about in the past so I might as well run with it. Right? Right.

I have been Master's slave for 95% of our relationship. It was a long road filled with odds and ends and our basically trying to figure out what works for us. There were bumps in the road, as there always are regardless of what kind of relationship you have. But, that isn't really the point of this post. If you want a better background of how we got to where we are now, please read about it here. It's a somewhat vague history but it gives you the general idea.

Anyway... here is the meme I am referring to:


I have honestly never read any of those books. I of course knew about them rather quickly. After all they were promoting that book series left, right, and center. But when I saw my sister-in-law talk about it on a social network site I was floored to say the least. From everything I know about her she is a prude. I have no other way to put it. And she is also constantly complaining about how her husband (Master's brother) wants sex and she hates how he asks for it so frequently. She also bitches that he expects it without doing anything for it first. Apparently, without a dynamic in place, she thinks it should be earned like a reward. It's almost like she considers it a favor unless she wants to get knocked up. She's a prude and a feminist. *nods* I would say those two words sum her up rather well. I get along with her, don't get me wrong. But we are on two very different sides of that spectrum. Of course she doesn't know that. No one does.

But when she was saying how she had read it and had borrowed the book from a friend of her's I was floored. Like I said, admittedly I have never read any of the books. But from everything I had heard/read about it, it involves some level of kink to it. One person described it to me as a romance novel with a side of kink thrown in. I don't know how accurate that is though. *shrugs*

I have read the Sleeping Beauty series by Anne Rice. Granted those books are highly impossible with some of the things they wrote in there. Guys keeping their dicks hard constantly? Yeah. Sure. Yet a doctor will say if it lasts more than four hours you need to go to an ER. Of course there are other things in that book series that are impossible or at the very least highly improbable. However it was still an enjoyable series for me. Some of those things are entirely possible in the right scenario. Hell some of it I know damn well Master would do to me given the opportunity.

When I first heard about the 50 Shades book series I'll admit that my curiosity was a little peaked. After all I heard kink and I guess some form of dynamic was involved and you don't really read many books with that kind of thing going on. But I never did because the more I found out about it, the more it seemed to come off as a romance novel with things in it that "vanilla" people would find kinky but I would find boring as hell.

Has anyone read them? Thoughts?

I know that there will never really be a fictional book dealing with kink or a dynamic based relationship within an over all story setting that I will find 100% believable. I have a feeling that no matter what I read in that line of writing the book(s) will either have one of the following effects on me:
  1. It will be way too far fetched and come off as ridiculous.
  2.  Some of it will be far fetched but other parts will seem possible and as a result keep my interest.
  3. It will disappoint me to the point of absolute boredom.
That may seem harsh since I've only ever really read the Sleeping Beauty series. There have been short stories and what not but they pretty much fell under the first category.  The Sleeping Beauty series fell under the second category. The 50 Shades series sounds, from everything I have heard about them, will fall under category three and as a result aren't worth buying, even if they are cheap.

It's kind of funny though because I have a feeling that if those had come out when I was an older teenager I would have snatched them up. Why? That kind of thing always interested me. I didn't really know if I actually ever wanted to be involved in such a thing but I knew that it interested me from a rather early age. But now? Well, after being in a Master/slave relationship for basically 11 years (and counting) I think I may just fall asleep while reading it out of pure boredom. Or maybe I would ready a couple of chapters, promptly decide it was a waste of time and money, and get rid of it.

When it comes to books I am very selective about it. After all, I'm spending money here and I want to make sure that I'll want to read it multiple times. That does somewhat limit the number of books I own/will buy but as a result I very, very rarely regret buying a book. I'm honestly more picky about the books I read than the movies I watch. Movies to me can be something I watch simply to kill time. But with a book? Nope. Can't do it. I have to be able to throw myself into it even if I am only reading a little bit of it here and there.

5 comments:

  1. My 2 cents: the 3 books in the Fifty Shades series are the WORST books I have ever read. I continued reading for amusement just because they are so ridiculously bad! The writing itself is horrible. Laughably horrible and SO CHEESY! As for the "kink" - boring! The meme above is dead on. I think you would find the author's idea of what is "shocking" to be completely silly. Also - the main character has this awful repetitive self assessment with what she calls her "inner goddess" and it gets so annoying after awhile. I HATED these books! To the point that I have a hard time maintaining respect for people who say that actually enjoy them. And everyone who LOVES them? Ugh. Makes me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also - I bought the first one in paperback and downloaded the other 2 to my kindle. If I still had the first one, I would gladly ship it to you so you could read it and see what you thought without spending any money on it. But - it was so bad, I threw it out the window of my old apartment into the dumpster. Which normally I would not do. If I don't like a book enough to keep it, I usually will donate it or give it to a friend. But that trash deserved the dumpster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving your two cents! I'm glad that I wasn't wrong on this one... lol But wow. I didn't know they were THAT horrible. And no worries, if something deserves to be in the trash, that is where it must go.

      Delete
  3. Please get a pdf file of it and read it! But first warn your Master or he will call 911 because of all the eye rolling you'll be doing! Hahaha I read each book in 5hours and english is my 2nd Language.. You will have blog material for weeks! It's that full of BS..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Just wow. lol I honestly didn't know, like I said before, how bad they actually were. It makes me wonder how in the hell they got popular in the first place. From what I heard from my sister-in-law they are actually making a movie out of it. I could be wrong on that. I don't know if I could read a book via PDF though. My eyes might go cross eyed.

      Delete