May 23, 2014

Somewhat Disappointed

I'm about half way through the "Story of O" book. Actually it may be a little over half way through. It's not a very long book at all. I'm use to reading books with over 300 pages and this has 199 pages. As I'm looking at the book itself I think of a short story, even though it's not. Anyway... I'm still on the fence about it. The writing style still seems broken. She's in the present one moment and then out of nowhere a memory is triggered and rather than a smooth transition it's very abrupt. It takes me a minute and sometimes I have to go back a couple of sentences to make sure I didn't miss anything. That is somewhat annoying. I can get past that though. To me it's like my having to look past the description of the wallpaper in a Stephen King book.

*shakes fist* Damn you Stephen! No one gives a damn about the wallpaper. There is no need for five paragraphs worth of a description you bastard! And yet he is still one of my favorite authors. Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman, and Stephen King. *nods*

Back to the book though... *HUGE Spoiler Alert*

It's not really coming off as kinky to me. She gets her ass beat and she gets fucked. I mean yes, there are rules and regulations she has to abide by but there isn't really anything severely hard core to me. And with all of the hype about it I guess I was just expecting more. *shrugs* Maybe it's just me.

Also, parts of it are coming across like the movie "The Secretary". If you've never seen the movie you may not get the reference. But the guy O is originally with, Rene, is supposed to be her master. Right? Right. He is also the one that she is in a romantic relationship with. She seems deathly afraid of losing him or him falling out of love with her. He's the one that first put her in that, for lack of a better term, training center. So he is the one that should be in charge.

But once she is out of there she is with Rene again and there is never any mention of him whooping her butt. It's all soft caresses and "I love yous". There isn't even really rough sex mentioned. Then this Sir Stephen dude enters the picture. Some guy Rene totally looks up to and apparently wants to fuck. Rene then says that Sir Stephen is her master first and he is second. Um... what the fuck?

When I was reading about her being in the training center I was expecting it was because he wanted her that way. But nope. Apparently it was so he could prepare her for the Stephen dude. It goes on to describe how Sir Stephen is the one whooping her ass and putting her through her paces. He's the "mean" one. Meanwhile the "original master" Rene doesn't even stay to watch, he just looks at the marks later and gets off on it but is unwilling to make the marks himself. Now both the "original master" Rene, and the "actual master" Stephen are in love with her and now plan to prostitute her off to their friends.

That's about where I am now. Like I said before, I'll continue to read the book all the way through. But parts of it put me off a bit. Maybe it's because I'm thinking of it as to how I would feel in that situation.

Let's say Master sent me off to a training center of some kind... First.. I'd be like "What the fuck?" After all no one can train me the way He wants me except for Him.

Okay, so that right there is odd. Then if I were to come out of there and then Master hands me off to this other guy, who I've never met and didn't even know existed, and tells me that this new dude is supposedly first in charge and He is now second in command but will drop everything He is doing to make sure that the other guy has me when he wants me. I would be so confused it wouldn't even be funny. Hell, at that point I'd be throwing my hands up and saying, "Fuck this. I'm out."

But then again, this is fiction. And perhaps most of my problem is that fact that I'm attempting to put myself in these situations. However, I can't really help that. I do that sometimes when I'm reading a book. Not often but it does happen. This just happens to be one of the books that I can't seem to stop myself from doing that.

Has anyone else read this book? Opinions? Do you think I'm way off the mark on this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment