April 7, 2013

Another Goodbye

Today started as any normal Sunday would. Master and I sat in the living room, drinking coffee and waking up a bit more. Master went to go take His shower and on His way to the bathroom He opened up the second bedroom door. The room that we call the bunny room. Every night after we feed them and say goodnight we close the door. Then every day we open it in the morning.

It was different today. He opened the door and I heard Him walk into the room, just as He always does to say good morning. I was literally about to ask Him how they were all doing when I heard Him say, "Hun!"

Our eldest rabbit passed away last night. He walked out into the hallway, where I met Him, and we held each other. He was crying. I had just started to but didn't fully until we held hands and went back to see him.

That's when I fully broke down. I was bawling. I know some people are probably thinking, "It's just a rabbit."

None of our animals are "just pets". They are members of our family and we love all of them. When one of them passes away, a family member has passed away.

Master and I said our goodbyes and pet him for a little while before proceeding with burying him.

We said our goodbyes once more before going back inside.

We have both been in a daze since then. He was very old for a rabbit, honestly. He was 11 years old. That is well beyond a rabbit's life expectancy. And we knew it was coming. We knew he was old. But even when you know it's coming, it doesn't cushion the blow of when it actually happens. We had gotten him very early in our relationship and he was already a year when we got him.

I am grateful that he went peacefully in his sleep. We know it was in his sleep and without pain just by how he was laying when we found him this morning. I am very, very grateful for that. I'm also grateful that we both said goodnight last night. Normally just one of us does. One of us takes out the dog and the other feeds and says goodnight to the rabbits. Well, last night after I came in from taking out the dog Master had just gotten back there so I went in and said goodnight too.

We will miss him as we miss all of our pets who have passed away. He will always have a place in our hearts and we will always love and miss him greatly.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry for the loss of your bunny. I am glad that he was able to pass on quietly and at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. We are glad as well.

    ReplyDelete