September 24, 2012

Titles

You know... the whole one true way or one definite description of a "title" has provoked several different reactions from me over the years.

It used to make me think that maybe I'm not actually a slave because there is no way in hell I would do x, y, z or be perfectly fine with Master doing x, y, z. We all have our limits after all, whatever those may be.

That was a long, long time ago. Then it began to piss me off. I know that we're all essentially using the same titles. Master, slave, Sadist, masochist, Owner, property... You get the picture. And yes, when you look in a dictionary and you look at a certain word that pretty much lays out what that word means. That's it. End of story.

But to me everyone's relationship is different. Everyone expects different things or wants different things from their significant other. Bare with me here. A good translation for me is the titles of Husband and wife. They all mean the same thing, at first glance, but that doesn't mean that every marriage is the same or that every Husband does things this way and every wife does things that way. It's all unique and up to the two people involved.

So, why is it any different when you are talking about the titles of Master and slave?

Beating it to death by saying, "No! This is the one and only way!" is absolute bullshit. That would be like someone walking up to me and telling me I'm not a real wife because I'm not like their wife.

My Husband and I define what our "titles" mean. Okay, more so Master than me but you get the point. Do I make Him happy? Is He pleased with me? Does He still attach those titles to me? Yes to all of the above.

So these days, what is my reaction to the one true way conversations? I laugh. Yep. It's not worth the anger or my getting worked up. It's just funny at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment