September 2, 2012

Dad & Grandpa

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. I tried calling him about four or five times but each time I did it went straight to a message saying, "I'm sorry, but this voice mailbox is full."

What the fuck? Dad doesn't even use voice mail. He has an answering machine. I asked my brother and apparently he had the same problem. Well, not much I could do about it. I live 45 minutes away so it's not like I could drive down there just to wish him a happy birthday. So I basically told my brother that if got a hold of my dad (he just turned 51) to let him know that I did in fact try to call yesterday. I just didn't want him to think that I forgot.

Well, today was my grandfather's birthday. He just turned 74. I called and I was a little surprised that he picked up. I know that normally on a Sunday he goes to the hospital for his physical therapy. But he did! I was half expecting just a quick five minute conversation too. It's not that he doesn't like me or that we're on bad terms, it's just that he's been shying away from the family a little more as he's getting older. It reminds me of how an animal, when it gets old or is close to death it'll separate itself from the pack or group.

I'm glad I was wrong about the whole short conversation thought though. I wished him a happy birthday and he was really pleased that I called. I actually had a good 25 minute conversation with him. He asked how we were doing and told me about how his health is. He told me about how he's having my uncle come out and help him more with the more physical things around the house as he's noticing that he can't do a lot of it since he had the pacemaker put in. He also got a new dog. His last one passed away and he waited a little less than a week until he got his new dog. He said he just felt so alone and couldn't take it any longer. I totally know where he is coming from on that.

His new dog is 8 years old and deaf and apparently totally obsessed with Grandpa. *smiles*

He sounds like he's doing really well, all things considered. Also, Grandpa gave me my dad's new phone number. It's a little odd that Dad didn't call me to let me know, but whatever. So once I was off the phone with him I called my dad and left a message saying that I hadn't forgotten, I just didn't have his new phone number.

No comments:

Post a Comment