September 29, 2012

Letting Things Go

We visited my dad today. He had been asking us to come down with our digital camera and take pictures of some things he wants to put up on E-Bay. 

As soon as I walk in the door he asks me to look at a letter he got because he doesn't understand what it all says as it's legal mumbo jumbo. Okay, sure Dad no problem. That son of a bitch set me up. He knew exactly what it said. Wanna know what it was? Of course you do. It was a letter stating that he has been approved for social security disability! I am so happy for him! It is also a load off my mind because now he can keep the place he's in and will finally be able to get all the medical care he needs for his back.

We sat and talked for a while and then Dad brought out his collectables that he wants to try and sell. They are band memorabilia and it's a collection that he and I built together. When I moved in with Master I simply didn't have the room for my collection anymore so I gave it all to my dad knowing that it would be in a good home and that he would appreciate it for all that it was worth. I am not expected a penny out of it obviously. He needs the money and I'm just trying to help him out. Master took the pictures and I took notes as I would be the one putting them up for sale on the internet since my dad doesn't have a computer.

At one point my dad is dusting off one of the items and as he is doing so he says, "Ya know kid this is part of our history that's going away." I couldn't think of anything to say. I could see that it was hurting him to do this. He has been collecting items from this band since 1977. I started collecting when I was 12. It's something that we bonded over and we both loved doing. We would buy each other items for our collections. It was a lot of fun, and now... it's done. It's a little heart breaking on one level but when you need money you need it and you do what you have to do. I support him fully on his decision. And I know that he has made peace with it.

That was really the only down moment though. Other than that my dad and Master worked great together. Dad would tell him exactly how he wanted the shots done. Then Master would take some pictures and show them to my dad. My dad would tell me which pictures he wanted to use and I wrote them all down.

After that was done we sat back down. My dad had been standing too long. The look of pain on his face as he sat was horrible. Like I said, I'm really glad he'll be getting the help he needs for his back.

So tonight I've put up about half of the items he's putting up for sale. I might do a couple more tonight or I might just finish it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment