August 5, 2011

Work Wear Wish List

I know I've done wish lists in the past. But this one is a bit different.

My current job, although it is an office environment allows us to dress extremely casual as we do not have any customers coming in and clients very rarely show up. What do I mean by extremely casual? Well, we can wear jeans, sneakers, t-shirts.. you get the picture.

Now, where as I enjoyed it and still do to a point.. it doesn't feel like a very professional job. I mean my job is important. I'm an analyst and the information I deal with is highly confidential. But because of the dress code it doesn't really feel like a professional job. Now yes, I could go against the whole casual thing and start wearing professional clothing to work. I've done that a few times. But when I have I feel very out of place which makes me feel uncomfortable. Everyone else is walking around in jeans and t-shirts while I'm trying to look nice in professional attire. It's... awkward for lack of a better term. Master and I have been talking and we both agree that I should start looking for a different job that is closer to home and preferably on a bus route.

I have had to use most of my vacation days to take off because the driver in my carpool has taken off and either my car has been in the shop for repairs or I hadn't been counting on needing to take the car so there isn't enough gas to get me to work and back without being on a red line. Part of that is because she normally does that on a non-payday week or the week that rent is due. Since finances are so tight I can't afford to put a lot of gas in the car and we use that just running errands etc. Plus if I do take the car to work and we don't have the money to replace a lot of it then we're kind of screwed.

So yeah. I'm testing the waters on the whole new job situation. I want more independence for getting to and from work so to me being on a bus line or very close to home makes the most sense to me. The only thing is I have to find a job that pays as well or more than what I'm making right now so we can keep our heads above water and hopefully still have some room to do something we want to do.

So, since I am now looking and I am looking at more office work I need professional clothing. I don't have a lot because my current job did not require it and even then I mostly had khakis which to me is not really "professional" attire it's more "business casual". I think I think that way because that's what I wore for my retail jobs.

So anyway, on to the wish list! (I'm mainly doing this so I can keep track of it without adding a lot of bookmarks and so I can reflect on it if I go shopping offline.) The only bad thing is I can't wear skirts unless they are ankle length because of my tattoos. But no biggie there.

Pants/Slacks:

  1.  Basic Black Sailor Pants
  2. Belted Woven Charcoal Trouser
  3. Black Pinstripe Work Pants
  4. Grey Stripe Work Trousers
  5. Slim Bootcut Trouser (Grey)
  6. Slim Bootcut Trouser (Black)
  7. 7th Avenue Flare

Tops:

  1. Tan Blazer
  2. Ruched-Sleeve Cropped Blazer
  3. Lurex Striped Ruffle Blazer
  4. Ponte Knit Grey Blazer
  5. Ruched-Sleeve Linen Blazer
  6. Lace Inset 4-Button Blazer
  7. Sleeveless Shirt with Ruffles and Knots (to go under a blazer)
  8. Ruffle Neckline Sleeveless Shirt (to go under a blazer)
  9. Hudson Two Button Jacket
I'm sure Master will be surprised how many blazers are listed. His mother bought me a blazer for my birthday. I put it on and Master loved it on me. Me? I wasn't sure because I had never worn one before so I wasn't sure how much I liked the look on me. But it does scream "professional" and I think they will "grow" on me. Master wants me to wear my current blazer although I'm not sure where I would wear it or with what kind of pants. And of course I'll need tops to go under them but I think those will be easier to decide on so I'm not listing a lot of them.

I figure with the heels and heeled boots I'll just shop for those in stores and pick out ones I like. Buying shoes online can be tricky.

2 comments:

  1. You may remember a comment i made a while back. One about dressing up, etc. i would like to offer just a bit of help here if i might. i wear this type of clothing on a regular basis even though i don't work in the environment you're talking about, i still wear the kind of clothes you mention here. i always wear skirts but when i shop, i see what you've got on your wish list and i will assure you, i pay little to nothing for my clothes.

    As a matter of fact, i just went on somewhat of a shopping spree with Master. i got 10 pieces of clothing. One blouse had been $108.00 and i got it for $3.38. Some of the skirts i got for $1.69. In the past, i've gotten clothing from Talbots, Casual Corner and Ralph Loren.

    This time i got two pieces from CJ Banks, one from Sag Harbor and another from Liz.

    i came home with 10 pieces for $40. Where in the world could i have managed to do this? GoodWill.

    You have to go there often and you have to be patient and picky. You WILL leave there with amazing things and more often than not, you will find brand new items, with the tags still on them.

    No one would ever know where you got your clothing unless you told them yourself! i'm always happy to tell people where i got my clothes, it's a wonderful way to recycle! =)

    Peace to you and good luck! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the advice! To be honest yesterday I went down to my mother's and dug through her closets because her and I are the same size and she doesn't wear a lot of those kind of clothes anymore. I found two really nice vests. One of them I LOVE and the other is nice looking. I know there is a Goodwill around here somewhere. Honestly I don't know where. Not that I won't shop at those kind of stores, just that I have never done so up here. I'll have to look at their store locator. :-) I enjoy saving a buck and every little bit helps. A coworker of mine also told me about this used store place up here. It's not a chain of stores, it's this mom and pop type place. But I plan on hitting that place up too. Again, that you SO much! I honestly never would have thought of that for professional wear.

    ReplyDelete