August 23, 2011

Tuesdays Aren't Much Better

Well, as most of you already know my grandfather is not in the best of health. He's still ticking and the old man could be around for another year for all I know. Stranger things have happened. But just to be on the safe side I asked HR if they had any sort of policy on bereavement leave.

Apparently, regardless of who in your family passes away you get two days off. So, it could be your child, your parent or your spouse, etc. Two days.

Interesting. So I asked if I could use one to attend the funeral and another for the will reading. She said no. Apparently bereavement leave at my place of employment is strictly to be used for "funeral needs". So I'm assuming that means the wake and the burial, if the deceased has a burial and if it is not the same day. The days have to be consecutive. You can not space them out. If there is no burial and it is only a wake, then I won't have an "excuse" and will only get one day. Even at that, while I'm almost numb from grief I also have to remember to request a note from the funeral home stating that I was there at such and such a day and my relationship to the deceased.

If the funeral (wake/burial) is on the weekend, I do not get to use any bereavement leave as I do not work on weekends.

These days are unpaid, which really doesn't surprise me. But what the fuck dude? I can't break them up? Okay, lets say only a wake is given, but I have to go to a will reading which is a few days later. Well, I can only use the leave for the wake. The will reading I have to do on my own time. Never mind everything else.

Morbid, I know. I'm not sure if this is out of the ordinary or not. I've never had to ask about bereavement leave. Maybe this is perfectly normal and I personally just don't think it is being handeled correctly.

I know I need the money on my paycheck, and I know I don't have any paid days off left until March. But having said that I also know that I am going to do what I am comfortable doing. If that goes over the allotted time, I'll make the time up. I talked to Master about this already and He agreed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment