June 26, 2010

Saturday Ramblings

Today has been pretty uneventful besides the wake up sex. I'm not complaining about the wake up sex mind you. ;-)

But since it was about 84 out today, Master and I weren't feeling up to doing much at all. We were originally going to take Radar to the park, but even he seemed lethargic today. So we decided against it.

As a result, we've spent most of the day lazing about.

For some reason the idea of excercise and things of that nature have been on my mind. I have my bike now, but I'm extremely rusty on the rules of riding a bike on the road. When I was growing up we just rode our bikes on the sidewalks unless it was a side street that was hardly ever used. Master and I live on a highway. So that changes things a bit. I'll have to do some research on that.

I think I would like to start exercising more at home as well, for when I can't ride the bike. I don't want to get ripped or anything of that nature. I basically just want to tone up a bit. I've already lost a little weight by eating less often and walking around on my lunch break at work.

I can't afford a gym membership right now. But maybe after Master gets a job we could look into that as well.

And now I have a small gripe. Fun huh?

I know three people right now who are planning weddings that are occurring within the next three to four months. And all of them are so extremely busy with all this shit that I'm amazed they even still want to get married.

All they talk about is the meetings with the priests, the pre-marriage counseling they have to go to, the dress sizing, the tux sizing, the picking of the brides maids dresses, looking into photographers, DJs, looking at countless different invitations, placement cards, halls, florists, and cake testing....

Cake testing? It's cake. White, marble, or chocolate? Seriously.

I don't know. I mean I know that most women dream of the day they'll get married and they want everything to be perfect. It's all about them. I get it. But god damn!

One particular engaged couple I know told me that just for the wedding and the reception.. not including their honeymoon... they'll be in debt for two years. Two years. These days some marriages don't even make it through the first year, and you're going to be paying all this money for one day? A day where in 10 years you won't remember if you had ivory or eggshell napkins? Come on now.

And each of these couples have come to me asking me what we did. Every. Single. One. They know that Master and I have "only" been married for 3 years, so they figure I have some good points.

The conversations usually go something like this:

Them: "So, where did you get married?"

Me: "The court house. It was great! The justice of the peace was very nice and had a great sense of humor."

Them: "So... you didn't have to go to pre-marriage counseling sessions?"

Me: "Nope. We just had to go down to the court house about two weeks before hand and fill out the form to apply for a marriage license. Then, on the day of the wedding, we signed it and they filed it for us."

Them: "Oh. Okay. Well, where did you get your flowers from?"

Me: "We didn't have flowers. Well, technically I had a bouquet of silk flowers that I got from Stein's but I totally forgot about it and it was in the car the whole time. I still have it though cause I think it's pretty."

Them: "You left it in the car?!"

Me: "Yeah. Well there was no aisle to walk down. We had the rings and we had each other. That's all we needed."

Them: "Okay then. So then where did you get your cake?"

Me: "Wal-Mart."

Them: "You have got to be kidding."

Me: "No. It was delicious and so pretty! No one could believe we got it from the Wal-Mart bakery. But I loved it."

Them: "I'm almost afraid to ask, but who did your pictures and who did the music?"

Me: "We just asked anyone who had a digital camera to bring one. Hubby brought His and a few weeks later we all just swamped pictures via e-mail. As far as music went, BC brought his stereo and Hubby and I made two burned CDs."

And it continues from there, usually with their jaws slowly inching its way to the floor.

Master got a new suit, I wore a dress I already had but loved (and it was black). We didn't have decorations of any kind. No place cards, people just sat where they wanted to. The invitations we made on our computer, printed out, and mailed or hand delivered.

It was all very laid back. And I loved it.

One female in a particular engaged couple said, "Well this must have been like your second wedding or something..."

That actually kind of pissed me off.

I said, "This was my Husband's second wedding, although that didn't matter at all to either of us. This was about us. As far as me? This was my first wedding."

The chick was baffled that I didn't want it to be elaborate. Yes, we were tight on money, but even if we had had the money to go all out, it would have made me uncomfortable.

Like Master said, as we were planning everything, "Lets toss as much money as we can at the honeymoon!" *giggles* I can't say I disagree with His logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment