August 22, 2013

Pen & Paper

I'm not really sure what prompted it, but I wrote Master a letter today. By letter I mean I actually used a pen and a piece of paper. I didn't type it out. It wasn't an e-mail and it obviously not a blog post.

Before we were living together we would talk on the phone every now and then but because of long distance calling it was just a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) to just chat over instant messaging. And then of course there were my hand written journal posts. I didn't start blogging until we were married. Anyway, during that time we would still write each other letters. We never mailed them. It was just something where if we were thinking of something and couldn't talk to each other at that time we would just write each other letters and then give them to one another the next time we saw each other.

I know that probably sounds really, really stupid. Back then we would see each other twice a week and then once a month He would spend the night at my place. But for some reasons those letters seemed to help the feeling of distance. Maybe because we could just pick them up and read them anytime we wanted to. When we were missing each other or something along those lines.

Again, very sappy and dumb sounding but it's what we did. I would write Him letters and He would write me ones. It wasn't very often at all honestly. They were rare, but they happened.

And for some reason I wrote Him one today. I haven't done that since we moved in together, over eight years ago. I guess I just had a lot on my mind and we couldn't talk right then. I couldn't message Him. And I didn't want to write it in a blog post. So I guess it just made the most sense to me. I actually kind of miss writing out letters. Typing is a hell of a lot faster, granted. But there is something about holding a pen and moving it across the paper that is comforting to me. I guess it's similar to actually physically holding a book and reading rather than reading it on a computer screen.

I gave Him the letter when I got home from work and He read it right away. It's currently sitting on top of our computer tower. We talked about what I had put in the letter a little bit. There really wasn't a discussion to have about it. They were just things on my mind that didn't really need a comment from Him but I just wrote it more so He would know where I was at. Sometimes it's easier for me to express that by writing or typing it then talking. I tend to ramble and kind of get lost in the conversation if I'm trying to break things down while I'm talking.

I'm glad I wrote it. I feel better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment