August 13, 2013

When Did This Happen?

Do you ever have one of those moments that slap you in the face and go, "Holy shit I really am an adult!"

I mean, I know I'm an adult. I'm 30 years old for crying out loud. I take care of my responsibilities and pay rent and bills every month. You know, grown up stuff. I've been doing it since I was 17 years old.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about one of those moments that just kind of make your realize that you're older now. And how do you know that? Because you heard your parents talk about this shit at the dinner table when you were a kid.

Today, I had one of those moments. I was at work and our yearly insurance meeting was today. Every year we have to see how much things are going to change or stay the same. This year, it's not that great. They are offering two different options. One makes no sense for me at all.

It's a HSA (Health Savings Account) health insurance plan. Before they'll pay for anything you have to reach $2,000 out of pocket. At that point they'll pay 60%. Then, once you reach $4,000 they will cover 100%.

There is no way, without a serious illness or accident, that I would come anywhere near those out of pocket expenses.

The other option is similar to what I have now. It is a much larger premium though, which sucks. The co-pays are higher, which also sucks.  But I can't really go without health insurance. Paying the bi-weekly premiums and co-pays for my shrink and prescriptions would be more than what they are charging for the health insurance. Hell, just for my prescriptions alone it's worth it. And I would never be able to afford my visits to my shrink without the insurance.

So, I wasn't too happy walking out of that meeting. More money coming out of my pocket that I really can't afford to leave my paycheck but I don't really have a choice in the matter. And when I got home and started complaining to Master about it. That's when I had reality slap me upside the back of my head.

I remember my parents talking about this shit, and complaining about it, over the dinner table when I was still young enough to be in pig tails. (Yes, my mother made me wear pig tails when I was a little girl. Shut up.)

2 comments:

  1. I bet you would look very cute in pigtails again.
    SirMike

    ReplyDelete