August 12, 2013

One Thing After Another

Today was one of those days where if it wasn't one thing it was another. Work started off shitty. Supervisor breathing down my neck about shit at fucking 8am this morning. Never mind it was already on my to-do list for the day (which he can see by the way) and isn't even behind! So it was a really shitty way to start the day. Walk in and first thing I see is an e-mail from him about that shit.

Then there were other random things at work through out the day that just made my head spin. It wasn't a full on Linda Blair moment but still.

Then on the way out to the car to go home I notice that the rear driver's side tire is low. What the fuck? I just put air in it two weeks ago. So I stop and put air in the damn thing again. I drop off the passenger in my carpool and then call my mechanic. I tell him what is going on with it and it's only a half hour until their closing time but I still asked if I could stop in. They said sure thing.

So I called Master and told Him what was going on. I get to the mechanic's shop and I am literally just getting out of my car and walking inside to give them my keys when I notice one of the mechanics walking out and heading straight to my car. So I double back and hand him the keys and he already knew what needed to be checked.

Well, it had a leaking valve stem. Fun. They replaced it for my and double checked the other three tires, which thankfully are fine.

So I got home about a half hour late. And guess what came in the mail today? Our lease renewal agreement. And guess what? The rent went up. Fucking hell. As if we weren't already overpaying for where we are, now we get to pay more! Hooray! So we'll be signing that and dropping it off on Friday.

Joy.

I watched a little TV with Master before hopping online and doing some job hunting. While I'm doing that my brother calls to bitch about our dad. Okay.. I listened to him for a good 15 minutes and then he had to go. As soon as I put the phone down my mother calls. Grand Central, how may I direct your call?

She was calling with some tips about job hunts that her and my aunt had discussed. It was nice of her and I appreciate it. I really do. But after how today went and the fact that I was literally in the middle of job hunting and had just hung up with my brother.. it was just bad timing. I wasn't a bitch or anything but I'm sure I sounded short with her.

Oh well. She knows how stressed out I am and understands. She didn't sound mad or upset. She let me go after about 10 minutes on the phone. So now I'm knocking this post out before taking my shower. I was able to toss out four job applications before all the phone calls hit though. So at least that much.

2 comments:

  1. I hope it's okay to leave some job hunting tips? I just finished a successful job hunt - took me since March, but I was being picky since I was already employed.

    - Job boards, no brainer, right? Go on multiple job boards! Google search your area. CareerBuilder, Monster and Indeed.com are all great boards. Dice.com is also a great board but lately it only seems to be for the 100k+ jobs.
    - Your local newspaper. Check the classifieds. They also often have a job board, but the jobs are not always posted in both sections.
    - Consider what kind of job you want, and see if you can find companies near you that you'd be interested in working in. Go directly to their websites. Even if they do not have open listings, send an email to HR. Depending on what kind of job you're after, really consider what kinds of places you could work at, and be open minded. For example, an accountant could work at an accounting firm, or a plumber's shop or even a retail store and hundreds of other places. Consider the tasks you'd be doing in addition to the kind of title.
    - For your resume, create one giant resume and then trim it down to 1 page when you apply to jobs. I found it's much easier to have a giant resume where I list every single bullet point that I can think of, then trim it down to what's relevant.
    - Have a good basic cover letter, then polish it up for each place you're applying to. Make sure to use the HR person's name if you know it. If you're applying for general consideration, broaden your cover letter to go into more detail about where you would like to go career-wise in the future. Also toss out suggestions on the kinds of jobs you'd be interested in.
    - Make sure to include a skills section on your resume, including things like software skills (Like Wordpress), social media experience, etc.
    - Make sure you use a separate e-mail address for your resumes. One that cannot be traced to you via a google search.
    - Clear up your internet presence. Companies check facebook, twitter, etc for you these days. So, make sure you send use an email address that's not associated with anything and doesn't have a nickname on it - something classic like first initial, last name. If you have internet things that are racy, make sure they cannot be tied to you.
    - I know funds are tight, but maybe one of you could consider going to community college. You can finance it, and even a 2 year degree goes a long, LONG way.


    Good luck and I hope things get better for you soon. I'm a long time reader and really hate to see unhappiness for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for all the tips! I already have most of those going on, so at least I know I'm in the right direction. :-)

    ReplyDelete