August 29, 2013

Slipping Away

Last night Master and I made plans to go visit my dad on Friday (tomorrow). I get out at noon tomorrow so we were planning on heading out of here around 1pm. I was surprised when the phone starting ringing just before I started this post and saw that it was my dad. My dad isn't much of a phone person, so once plans are made that's pretty much it.

Apparently he got a call from his dad (my grandfather) today. My grandpa... well... his health isn't the greatest. It hasn't been in a long time. But all of a sudden it seems to be getting worse. His mind is going a little bit. He's been "talking" to his wife (my grandmother) as if she's really there for a few years now. She passed away when I was in the 5th grade.

I don't really talk to him much. He pretty much wants to be left alone. He's kind of cut himself off from most of the family. He only "deals" with family for very short periods of time and only really calls when he needs help with something.

Well, today he called my dad because he asked my dad if he had been writing in his checkbook. According to my dad he hasn't helped him with his checkbook in three months. My dad, of course, asked why.

Grandpa said that other people must be writing in his checkbook because he doesn't recognize some of the hand writing in it. And apparently he says it's recent, like within the past month. So my dad is going out there tomorrow to help my grandpa with his checkbook and put his mind at ease.

My dad called me to tell me all this and ask what would be "too late" for us to come down. I said anytime would be fine really. My dad is going to call when he is back home or possibly when he is leaving Grandpa's house. It'll depend on whether or not he remembers to bring his cell phone with him.

I worry about my grandpa. But when I do get to talk to him he only stays on the phone for a few minutes and seems somewhat confused. It's heart breaking. I haven't seen him since last Christmas. And that was only for 15 minutes. He stopped by at my mom's and said hi to everyone. Next thing you know he's mumbling about having to go take care of his dog and left.

Yes, he is still living on his own. He won't be moved from there. He absolutely refuses. After all he built that house. No one can blame him. He just doesn't want anyone at his house unless he can't avoid it, like my dad going there tomorrow. I'm sure Dad will give us an update once we get down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment