August 9, 2013

Grab Their Attention

Over the weekend I plan on researching how to make my resume better and how to draft a proper cover letter. I haven't had to make a resume in four years. I have my old one saved. It's easier to keep all the time lines and details straight with it. But I think an overhaul may be in order. It's not because I haven't heard from anywhere yet. As I said before, I've only seriously started applying to jobs in the past month.

So it would be unreasonable for me to assume it's because my resume isn't professional looking enough. But something tells me that overhauling it wouldn't be a bad idea. And I don't have a draft for a cover letter yet. Plus, I'd like the two to match. But I also want a structured format to base it all off of. That way it doesn't look too.. I don't know... homemade?

I'm not about to pay a service to make a resume for me. To me, it's a waste of money. Also, I feel I am perfectly capable, with the right tools, to make a professional looking resume on my own.

So I'll be searching for different templates and tips and tricks for resumes. I'm going to take a more aggressive approach to all of this. I just want to try to give myself a little bit of an edge before they even talk to me. Something to make them take a moment to browse it rather than just shoving it off to the side because they have so many to go through. I want to grab their attention basically.

I have a template on my current resume, but I don't know if I like it. I don't think it is quite what I am looking for. I thought it was when I drafted it, but now I'm second guessing myself.

I'll still make time to relax of course, but I need to hit the job boards hard this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment