August 20, 2013

Looking At It Wrong

I called the lady that left the voice mail yesterday regarding a job interview. I was surprised when I got her on the first try. I called her as soon as I was on my lunch break and in my car. It only rang once and she picked right up.

It sounded great at first. I could easily do the job. The drive would have sucked until we moved, but I could live with that. Hell, she was even willing to stay late in order to do my interview so I wouldn't have to miss any work. She basically made it sound like the job was mine without even having met me. But before I went ahead and scheduled the interview I asked her how much the pay is.

She told me that we would talk about it at the interview. I responded by telling her that I wasn't trying to be disrespectful but I needed to know before the interview. I didn't want to waste her time or mine just to find out that the pay is too low.

She said she understood. She told me the amount. I asked her whether that was negotiable. She said that it was firm.

It was too low. It was almost a $3/hour pay cut. That adds up quickly and is a larger pay cut than I can afford to take. She again told me that she understood and wished me luck on my job hunt. I wished her luck in finding the right person.

It was all actually very nice. She seemed like an extremely nice person.

It sucks that it seemed to be right there in front of me and then having to turn it away. But as Master pointed out it's a step in the right direction. At least I got a call. Which is a good point. He told me I was looking at it wrong. At least someone showed interest, which just means that so will other companies. And as a result, sooner or later, the right one will come along.

He's so smart. *smiles*

No comments:

Post a Comment