May 11, 2013

Leaving The Ship

This post is actually supposed to be for my 05/10/13 post. However, I had taken a nap on the couch until 9pm, when Master woke me up so we could take care of the animals and then I got back on the couch and apparently fell back asleep until about 15 minutes ago. So it's now after midnight. I feel bad about it honestly. Master said not to worry about it.

He knows how work has been as well as other stresses that had been on my mind for the past few days. Events at work today did not help. Today one of the employees that is not in my department but I had gotten along with was fired today. I have no idea why honestly. But that is the seventh person within less than a 30 day period that has been fired. In the four years I have worked there, that is the most I have ever seen. Hell, I only remember two employees being fired within a 30 day period.

So, either more and more people are fucking up pretty badly or they are cutting down the staff size. They aren't really letting us know this part, but we are losing some work from our clients. Not in my department, as we have been busy as fuck, but in parts of the larger departments that are normally swamped beyond belief year round. And guess what? My department isn't their big money maker. Even still, two of people in my department were recently fired. One I understood completely, but the other not so much.

On the way home from work the passenger in my carpool and I were discussing all this. I learned something though. He admitted that if he could find a different job with the same pay and a little closer to home he would jump in a heart beat. So he is basically along the same line of thinking that I am. I didn't allude to the fact that I am currently job hunting but I did tell him that I felt the same way. And the bad part is that we are both really good employees. We shouldn't feel like that. But here we are. The other thing that ticked us off is that an employee who has been there less than six months got employee of the month. I have been there four years and the passenger in the carpool has been there five years and neither of us have ever won. It's a popularity contest as you have to be nominated by "x" amount of people to be considered. So it's not really based on your work performance.

That's the other thing we have noticed. All of the people getting cut loose have been there for four years or more. I think it's one of those, "We can get someone in here who is cheaper to do this." situations. So, that's uncomfortable as well.

As a result I will be doubling my job hunting efforts. I honestly don't think I'm going to get fired, but I have that the rats should be leaving the ship feeling in my stomach that I had at my last job. It's not a pleasant sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment