December 13, 2012

Read Any Good Books Lately?

One of my favorite things to do is to sit down with a book and get lost in it. The only problem is that I've ready all of the books we have a thousand times, if not more. Some of my favorite books we don't own anymore and honestly I don't think it'd be worth it to buy them again because I'd probably read it once and not touch it for a few years.

I need something new. But that brings up another problem. I don't want to spend money on a book and then not like it. Then I'd be stuck with a book I didn't like and a receipt I'll get pissed about. We have a library close to home but it's only open when I'm at work. Perhaps I'll check it out on one of my upcoming half day Fridays. I don't know.

I just don't know which aisle I'd wander down though. I have a feeling they won't have the kind of books I'd want to read. It's a rather small library. But who knows. I could get lucky.

So I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have any suggestions for good books? I'm open to pretty much any genre (except for non-fiction).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

After all, it's winter, even if it doesn't feel like it just yet. But winter is one of the best times of the year to snuggle up on the couch with a blanket, propped up on pillows and reading a book while sipping coffee. I miss doing that. 

6 comments:

  1. It's a small investment, but you should consider an e-reader. You can get a decent one for under $100 these days, and people tend to upgrade to new stuff so you may even be able to pick up a nice used one on craigslist or ebay for cheap. Then you can borrow e-books from your library, which you can do anytime day or night! I'm a huge reader and have saved a ridiculous amount of money over the past year alone by borrowing - it has more than made up for the cost of my Nook. And if you have a smart phone, you can download the app and read on your phone without having to buy an e-reader at all. It is well worth it if you read a lot.

    As for books, I've been on a paranormal kick lately. Anything with vampires, demons, violence and sex. Haha. If that interests you, I recommend JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series or Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like long, sweeping epic novels, Ken Follett is an awesome author. "Pillars of the Earth" is a wonderful book. It has a sequel that is also wonderful. For a fun lighthearted read, Janet Evanovich is a great author. Her Stephanie Plum novels are hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you might want to do...If you don't have an e-reader of some sort, you can go to Amazon.com and download a free Kindle app for your computer or phone...Then the possibilities are endless. I've personally borrowed books from online libraries before, and you can download a free sample of any book (usually the first chapter or two) before you buy, so you know if you like it or not.

    As for suggestions, one of my favorite series is the Kushiel Legacy series, by Jacqueline Carey. It's mostly fantasy, with lots of great sex and BDSM elements mixed in. There are six books, and they're all pretty thick, which makes them one of my favorites to read in the winter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your suggestions. :-) I do not have an e-reader and I am honestly not sure how I feel about them as I've always loved paper backs. I will be looking into your book suggestions though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. I am halfway through and can't put it down!!!

    ReplyDelete