December 2, 2012

Frustrated Nerd

Okay, well this evening was slightly frustrating. I had tried to alter my blog just a little bit. I wanted to do two things.

1. I wanted to make it so the comments could nest. As in there would be a "reply" button next to a comment so that you could leave a comment directly below it.

2. I wanted to make it so the Blogger "reactions" would show up under each post.

This theme is not a standard option for Blogger. I had to download the template and then upload it to Blogger. Once that was done I could go in and tweak the coding.

I had never messed with those two specific things before. And since it is easy to screw up the whole thing with removing or adding a line of code it kind of ticked me off. Not to mention the fact that when I would preview it prior to saving it it would look fine. Then I would save it and look at the blog normally, and yeah.. not so much.

I went back and just copied my backup HTML/CSS that I had saved but it just wasn't coming out right. I don't know what the fuck happened. So, I had to reupload the original theme template and start over.

When I originally uploaded the theme it was a bit different as Blogger hadn't switched to their new site yet. This time I couldn't move the damn nav bar so if I allowed it, it showed up in the side bar rather than on top. Fuck. So I just removed it entirely and added a "Log In" link so people can log into their Blogger account if they wanted to comment or whatever.

No big deal. Easy side fix.

But I still can't get the nesting comments to work and every time I try to add the reactions it either doesn't work at all, or it doesn't show up correctly. Blah.

I gave up on it for the night. I don't know if I want to dick with it again because I hate having to start from scratch again. Then again that kind of thing gnaws at me so I may continue to try. After all, what's to lose?

Update: Okay, as I'm sure some of you may have noticed I did end up figuring out how to get the reactions to show up! Yay! Now, hopefully they work correctly! I decided to give up on the nesting comments. Also, I made it so the top navigation links aren't stuck in uppercase. Let me know what you guys think!

2 comments:

  1. Are you aware of other blogger blogs that nest comments? Maybe you could ask someone else who does it what they did.

    You may have found this already, but does http://www.mybloggertricks.com/2012/01/blogger-threaded-comments-for-custom.html help you at all?

    I have to admit that I didn't know that it was possible now to nest comments on blogger. Learn something every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyson,

    Thank you for the link! Unfortunately, the way that it looks with this template (I used a test blog I just created.) doesn't look right. I don't know why it was frustrating me.. lol I mean after all people can still leave comments.

    ReplyDelete