December 20, 2012

Hello Old Man Winter

Everyone, including myself, has been talking about how light of a winter we're having so far. After all we've been all the way up into the high 50's and it's December for crying out loud.

Well today Old Man Winter poked his head out of the clouds and waved hello. It wasn't as bad as they were predicting, well at least not in our immediate area. Ya see the winter storm "Draco" came through. Honestly I still find it kind of hard to believe that they are now naming winter storms. They were predicting a hell of a lot of snow and bad driving conditions for rush hour traffic. Guess what time I hit the road? Yep. Rush hour. I knew this when I got up this morning so I was a little anxious about it all day.

About mid day I pretty much stopped worrying about it. It was raining all day long. I do mean all day. But then about 3pm the rain rapidly turned into snow. Big fat fluffy snowflakes. And the snow was not fucking around.

The only problem with my working 45 minutes away from home is that I can't base the weather in one place as to how it's going to be in the other. Mainly because my home is damn near right off the lake. My work is 45 minutes northwest of where I live. As a result the weather can be drastically different.


So when I told Master at 3pm that it was starting to snow He told me it was still only raining at home.

Then it came time for me to drive home. It was really, really slow going and a little nerve wracking at points. I'm not kidding you when I say I was doing 25mph on the interstate where the speed limit is 65mph. I'm a very cautious driver when it comes to bad weather. It sucks in the sense that it takes a lot longer but it's great in the sense that I'm still breathing when I finally put the car into park.

So there I am, going 25mph and just focusing on staying calm. I did manage to do that. It's a good thing I'm medicated though, I don't know if I would have handled it as well without it. Yay for bipolar medication!

Once I got closer to home the weather really lightened up and I was able to go at a more normal speed. I was still cautious though and took my time. No use in fully relaxing and then ending up in a wreck simply because I got comfortable since I was closer to home.

The person I drive back and forth to work in our little carpool actually thanked me when I pulled up to his house. We were about 25 minutes later than usual but he thanked me for getting him home safe and said, "Great driving dude!" (No that wasn't sarcasm on his part.)

He lives about five minutes away from where I live but I had to stop at the gas station, which added a little bit more time before I finally pulled in.

They say that the storm is supposed to completely stop by 3am, which is about three hours before I get up in the morning so that should give the plows and all that time to get the roads clear. Although Master and I just looked out the window and it's pretty much over already. But like I said, I don't know what it's like out by my job. However, the storm is moving east, which means that it should be over out there before it's done here at home.

I'm still going to wake up a little earlier than usual tomorrow just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment