December 25, 2012

It's Over

Master and I had mailed out our Christmas cards late this year. I popped them into the mail this past Saturday so I assumed that they would get to people late, probably either Wednesday or Thursday. But lo and behold people were contacting us saying thank you for the cards yesterday. Awesome. And Master's niece and nephew got their gift card as well.

Yesterday was also the day to go down to His mother's. It went better than expected. It wasn't great and it wasn't horrible. It was somewhere in the middle of the road I'd say. But Master didn't get sick from the food, which I was honestly worried about, and they made me something separate to eat. I think we got home before 8pm. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Today was the day to see my family. Again, it didn't go great and it didn't go horrible. It also was about middle the road. I was a little worried because my dad was coming over to my mother's house so we could all spend the holiday together and so he could see my nephews as they were only with my brother for a short period of time today. As a result it was just easier for everyone to see them at my mother's house since my brother lives with her.

I was worried because they have been divorced since I was 17 and the marriage ended badly since my father cheated on her with the woman he ended up leaving her for. They had been together for 25 years. So my mom still has a lot of baggage from that, understandably, and sometimes my dad doesn't know when to shut his mouth. I love them both very much but I get a little antsy when they are in the same room as one another for an extended period of time.

But honestly my dad behaved himself the whole time and my mother only took one of two jabs that my dad completely ignored. So, that went better than expected.

My grandfather showed up. He is looking okay but you can tell his memory is going more and more as time goes on and not at a slow rate anymore. He showed up, gave everyone gift cards and all of a sudden hopped out of his car and said that he had to go home. He didn't really give anyone time to hug him and say goodbye properly. He just stood in the kitchen, waved, said Merry Christmas and left. That was just kind of awkward for everybody.

My brother had to leave at 12:30pm to take his two boys back to their mother's house so we all said goodbye to them. At that point Master and I agreed that we should get going also. My dad also left when we did. My mother seemed a little surprised and a little grateful that we were leaving that soon. Surprised because normally we'll stay for more than two hours but grateful because her place was literally filled with people all morning.

We hugged my mom and her husband goodbye and then walked out with my dad. He was going over to his brother's house and Master and I just headed home so I gave him a hug and we went on our way.

Since getting home around 1:30pm we have pretty much chilled all day. Master is currently downloading some games to His Xbox 360 so I figured I might as well knock out my post. It's not even 4:30pm and normally I wait until the end of the day to do that but I have to work tomorrow and I want as little to do this evening as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment