December 15, 2011

Memory Lane

Well, I couldn't really think of anything to write about today, so I went journal prompt hunting and found this one:

Share a favorite childhood memory.

I'm starting to realize that I don't remember a lot of crystal clear childhood memories. Why? I'm not sure. I just don't. Hell, I'm not even that old.

I would have to say that one of my favorite childhood memories was sleeping over at my paternal grandparents' house.

When my brother and I were really young we would go to Grandma's to sleepover. I mean, yes Grandpa was there too, but he worked so much that most of our time was spent with Grandma.

She would pull out a small mattress for each of us. She had a spare bedroom with two beds, but we always thought it was more fun to sleep on a mattress on the floor of their living room. We would watch movies and eat popcorn. For dinner she would normally make pizza and then cut it into tiny squares. She would help us build a fort out of their dining room table. Their dining room table was huge so it was one hell of a fort, let me tell ya.

She would sleep out on the couch when we stayed over. I remember waking up a few times when their grandfather clock would chime. I would look over and see Grandma on the couch and I would climb onto the couch with her. Then eventually I would go back to the mattress on the floor.

When we woke up in the morning she would allow us to help her make homemade waffles. The funniest thing was when it came time to cut them, she would do it herself and she would cut them into shapes of animals.

After breakfast we'd watch cartoons and then go play in her yard for a while. Or, if it was summer, we'd go outside and help her with her garden.

We always hated leaving. We always wanted to stay "just one more day".

No comments:

Post a Comment