December 16, 2011

Teach An Old Dog New Tricks

Okay, so I'm not old. And I'm not a dog. But still....

I've been thinking about this whole getting a new job thing. On one hand it will suck. Why? Well, lets go down the list shall we?

I know I have good health insurance now, and I don't know exactly what I'd be walking into. Although, I do plan on asking if I feel the interview is going well.

I've been at my job almost three years. It's the longest job I've had. I know that doesn't sound like a lot but it's pretty impressive to me.

I can wear jeans to work. It's comfortable.

I like my supervisor.

That's about it. And really, they aren't that big of a deal.

I didn't mention job security, even though the field I work in is most definitely not going away anytime soon. But then again, in my mind, no job is secure. Once you start feeling secure in your job, in my opinion, that's when things could go wrong. I always try to continue and be better at what I'm doing and grabbing management's eyes for good reasons.

The bonuses to finding a new job:

I am striving for a job closer to home or at least on a bus line. That way I can pay my monthly bus pass fee and be good. But preferably I would like the job to be close enough to home that I can take the car back and forth and gas prices won't rape me in the process. My current job, even though I feel I am making a good wage, is far enough from home that it would almost not make any sense when you toss the amount of gas a month into the mix. Right now I carpool, which is the only reason I'm not actively looking for a job right now.

Being able to wear jeans to work is all well and good. But I'm getting to the point, which oddly enough I never thought I would say, where I want to have to dress up a bit to go to work. And I'm not talking about khakis and a polo shirt. I'm talking business professional clothing. I don't know why. I think on some level it's a mental thing. When I had to wear an uniform (waitress, cashier) I felt like an idiot. I hated them. At my last job I only had to wear khakis which at the time was fine. But now that I'm getting a little older I want to feel like I'm going to a "grown up" white collar job. Right now, even though the work I do is extremely serious, it doesn't feel that way. By the way, I am in no way, shape or form belittling anyone's job. You do what you have to do to make your mother fucking movie check! (Hello, Jay and Silent Bob reference.) I'm just saying where I would like to go and what I want.

I feel that I have reached my peak at my job, as far as "title" goes. I can of course learn other aspects of the department, but that will not effect my pay wage. You still just get your yearly bonus, which sucks ass. Especially since there are so many different parts of the department.

That's about it.

So why the title of the post?

Well, I was thinking that even though I'm not enrolling in college or anything of that sort, I can get certificates. I can become certified in Microsoft Office suite. And for the type of work I want to do, that would come in really handy and look great on a resume.

I'm going to be doing some research on that this weekend to see what the cost is and all that. Hopefully I can go somewhere with the idea.

1 comment: