December 24, 2011

His Family

Well, actually today was just His mother's place. But today we were contacted by His sister-in-law saying that her, His brother and His father all want to get together with us in late January. We've only hung out twice with His brother and his wife. We've seen His father a lot more, but never have we gotten together with all of them at once. So it should be a lot of fun, and no I'm not being sarcastic. I really like His brother, His sister-in-law and His father. We always have a good time. I don't know if His niece and nephew will be there or not. So far it sounds like Master's eldest sister won't be there, which is fine by us. She's a drunk and not a fun one. His two younger sisters most likely won't be there but they are both under 18 and probably will be in school or at one of there school activities.

But today we went to His mother's. We had prepared ourselves for the worst, but to be perfectly honest it wasn't bad at all. It did seem like His mother was mad at her husband, but that was about it.

Dinner was really good. She gave us plenty of food to take home. She even gave us a lot of fruit, for no reason at all. They weren't left overs from dinner. She just pulled out a bag and started tossing apples, pears and oranges in a bag and said, "Here!"

She's half Sicilian and half Polish. I'm not trying to be stereotypical but I think that's why she's always trying to get us to eat more or send us home with like two bags full of food.

After dinner we exchanged gifts. They loved their holiday mugs with candy in them. In fact, His mother made sure to tell me that the shape of her coffee cup was the shape she loves for coffee mugs. It is wide at the mouth and tapered down as it got to the bottom of the glass. Bonus there. Her husband liked his coffee mug too.

They gave us a card with a $50 gift card inside. We said thank you very much. We really appreciated it, and again I'm not being sarcastic.

Well, right before dessert His mom is standing in the kitchen leaning on the counter and asks Master if he wants some of the crackers and cheese that are sitting next to her. He kept saying no. I could tell by the look on her face and the way she insisted that she didn't really want Him to eat the crackers. She just wanted Him to come talk with her. So finally Master understood and went by His mother.

Her husband and I were sitting in the living room. We could see them, but they were talking quietly. I didn't know what was going on. I was just hoping everything was okay.

Well Master walked over to me afterward and handed me something and told me to put it in my purse. It turned out to be a $50 check. I was shocked. I mean, they had already given us a gift card. And I'm not one of those people that expect anything during the holidays. So an additional $50 out of no where? Wow.

We stayed for dessert and headed out shortly there after.

On the way home I asked Master what had been said. Apparently her husband has been sending quite a bit up to his family in Minnesota. It had annoyed her that he thought the gift card was enough. So apparently she decided that day, right before we came over, that she was going to write a check for us on top of the gift card. That was very sweet of her. I don't think her husband was trying to short us or anything. He likes us, but I think he was doing it to make up for the fact that he moved away. I think that still bothers him sometimes even though all his children are all grown.

Right when I think I know what is going on in my mother-in-law's brain she shocks me, like today. She's not all together a bad person. But she can be two faced. However, it seems as the years go on she is becoming nicer to us. I think she's starting to realize that we're all she really has as far as family goes besides her in-laws.

As I said, tonight was pretty relaxing end enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment