November 12, 2010

Doctor Appointment

Today after work, I only had about a half hour at home before I had to leave again to go to my doctor appointment.

Master was in the shower when I got home, so I only got about 10 minutes with Him before I had to leave again. But at least it was something.

The sucky thing was that the person who had an appointment with this doctor before me showed up after I did. I got to the clinic about 20 minutes early. So needless to say I had to sit around past my appointment time, because that person is a jackass and was late.

My appointment was for 2pm and I wasn't able to go in until about 2:25pm.

This is the doctor that JD wanted me to see in order to get on some medication to help stabilize my moods. I'll call him Dr. L.

The appointment took about an hour. He asked me a lot of the same questions that JD had asked me over our last two visits. I think in part he was trying to make sure my answers meshed up. You can't be too careful these days, especially when it can cause you your practice. So I totally understood. He was a very nice man, and listened really well.

Towards the end of the appointment he confirmed that I have a form of bipolar disorder. And he said he was going to put me on a mood stabilizing prescription.

He knows that my finances are tight, as does JD, so he told me that he would give me a free sample pack that'll give me five weeks worth of my new medication which will get me through till the next appointment that I have with him which is in four weeks. I was very grateful. This means I only had to pay my copay and I won't have to pay for the prescription until next month.

This is a kind of drug that has to build up in my system for it to work. So it's not an immediate fix, but it'll be a nice ease in. Which is a good thing in my eyes. It means that if I start having a reaction to it (which is a possibility with any medication) I'll be able to tell sooner and not yet be on a full dose. The sample pack starts at 25mgs and gradually works up to the full does of 100mgs over the course of the five weeks.

I admit I'm nervous, as I am starting any medication that I've never been on before. But I know that Master is going to help me keep an eye on myself and if I start having a reaction I'll call the doctor asap. In fact tonight I'm putting the clinics number on my cell phone just in case. I have their card in my wallet, but it's not the same as being able to just hit speed dial. I'll feel better knowing it's in my cell phone.

So there we have it. Tonight I officially start my medication. Thank the Gods I have the kind of Husband that I do to help me through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment