November 6, 2012

Lady Problems

Well, I kinda sorta got yelled at by both Master and my mother on the same subject. Okay, not quite yelled at. More like lectured.

And it's my brother's girlfriend's fault.

My brother had called me a couple of nights ago asking me about female health problems basically. Well, apparently his girlfriend is going to be getting an IUD and prior to having that done she had to have a pap smear. She got a letter in the mail saying that her results had come back abnormal and to please see the attachment. The attachment was blank. She then proceeded to freak out.

So my brother called me and without any warning at all put her on the phone. This is the same girl who wanted to act like I wasn't there when I met her and was around her for a whopping 15 minutes but my brother puts her on the phone and suddenly I'm her life long friend. Well, at least that's the way she sounded on the phone.

I ended up just repeating myself over and over again about just calling the doctor to see what was going on. I found it a bit weird that she got a letter rather than a phone call but she had gone to Planned Parenthood rather than an OB/GYN office.

So it came to light that she had wanted to know what I specifically had to say as she had found out I had gone through something similar. Well, she's right on that one. My brother remembered that I had one point had to get a biopsy done. Why he remembered I don't know. I do think it freaked him out at the time as he took it a hell of a lot more seriously than I did.

I got fixed when I was 21 years old. And of course before you have surgery of that kind they want to do a pap smear. Mine came back abnormal. So they did a biopsy. The sample came back stating that I had precancerous cells. As a result they decided to basically freeze it all. That is a very fucking odd sensation let me tell you. After that I had to have another biopsy done and finally I was able to get fixed.

I told her all of this and she had fifty million questions and it all came back to me telling her to call her doctor.

So, why would any of this lead to a lecture from not just Master but Master and my mother? Um, well, ya see... I haven't been back to an OB/GYN since then. Yep. That's right. I haven't gone to once since I was 21. I'm 29 now.

Honestly, most of it is because of insurance. Although I have had insurance for the past three years. So yeah, add forgetfulness to it as well. I honestly hadn't even thought about it. So Master lectured me first and then my mom got on me about it.

None of us even really thought about when they found the precancerous cells. I just remember getting fixed. It wasn't until that conversation with my brother's girlfriend that I had even thought about it.

As a result they both made me promise to find one and get an appointment. So I spent my lunch break calling ones that are in network for my insurance. Gods was it a pain in the ass! Either they weren't accepting new patients at all, they were only accepting new patients that were pregnant or their office hours ended at 3:30pm every day. That wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that of course their Friday office hours were for procedures and prenatal visits only. What's the big deal about Fridays? Well, every other Friday I get out at noon. Otherwise I don't get home until about 5:30pm. So I had to find one that could take Friday appointments.

Finally I found one and have an appointment for January 18th.

I'm one of those people that don't go to the doctor unless something is wrong. I've always been that way. Yes, I know it's better to find out early.. blah blah blah. I've heard it all before. Both my mother and my Master know this about me so they don't really pressure me about it especially since they are both the same way.

However, since I did have that one instance mentioned above they want me to start getting regularly checked out. And like I said none of us had even thought about it until that conversation happened. If either of them did I'm sure they would have been riding my ass a lot sooner.

2 comments:

  1. I think u made a good choice. Nothing makes u as anxious as wondering if there's something wrong, and nothing makes u as happy as knowing that u've just been tested and given a clean bill of health. All the best!

    -your regular reader from India.

    ReplyDelete