March 19, 2011

Day With My Family

Today was a day of visiting my family. My parents are divorced, so it meant two different houses. We got up and woke up a little before heading out the door. First was my mother's house. We sat and talked for a while, my brother and I joked around a lot and we genuinely had a good time. We stayed for a few hours before heading over to my father's place.

Thankfully his girlfriend wasn't there the whole time. Master and I both loathe spending time with that woman. She has the most annoying voice and is a fucking idiot. What my dad sees in her I'll never know, and I probably don't want to.

During the time she wasn't there Master, my father and I all sat around, watched TV and joked around. I've said it before I'm sure, but my father sees me more as a friend than he does a daughter. Ever since I was 15 that's just how he's treated me. He loves me, and cares about my safety and happiness as a father should, but other than that it's as if we're just good friends.

During the time that his girlfriend was there, so were her two daughters. They are both younger than me, but not by much. I would say they are both in their very early 20's. The oldest daughter doesn't live there. They were trying to figure out how to get her home because her mother didn't feel like driving her back. So she told her daughter to just take her car and to bring it back tomorrow. She huffed and through a small hissy fit about it but then my father said something that kind of hurt me for some reason. He looked at his girlfriend's daughter and said, "We'll pick it up sweetheart don't worry about it."

Innocent enough right? It was the sweetheart part that got to me. He said it like a father would say it to his child. He doesn't talk to me that way. He hasn't in a very long time. Now this girl is in her 20's so it's not like she's a little kid. But my father talked to her like that anyway, even though he hasn't said anything to me in that way since I was 13. He said I was too old for it.

And the other reason it stung is because I am his daughter and he's known this girl for only a year. Sometimes it's nice having a dad who just wants to hang out and have fun. But there are sometimes I wish he would treat me more like a daughter.

But I didn't let that one little thing ruin my having a good time. We joked around after. And I know it doesn't seem like much, and I'm sure that some of you are wondering why I took something that small so hard, but I did.

I guess I just wish my father and I had a relationship like what my mother and I have. We can be friends and joke around and talk like friends. But she still treats me like her daughter when the need arises, or just because she wants to. My dad just wants to be my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment