March 5, 2011

Consequences

I know that normally I don't post until later in the evening but there is a consequence to having a birthday. My mother-in-law wants to get together.

Everyone in my family and everyone else in Master's family are more than happy to just call or send a card and then if they have a present for me then they just give it to me the next time they see us. I don't expect gifts to be perfectly honest. But anyway, Master's mother sent Him an e-mail last night saying that she wanted to get together with us possibly tomorrow (today) to give me my gift card (at least I know what I'm getting) because she didn't want to mail it. Why? What the hell is wrong with mailing it? Seriously.

She said in the e-mail that she wasn't sure or anything just yet because she's just so damn busy. So fine, whatever.

We get up this morning and Master has me call His mother. Sometimes being the secretary really sucks. This is one of those times. So I call her and she went on about how she wasn't sure what time we could get together because she had to go to lunch with some of her friends and then they were going to Best Buy and they didn't know how long they were going to be there. *blinks* I've never known how long I was going to be in a store. Especially an electronics store. If I go to Best Buy I'm there for a very specific reason. I go in there, get what I came for, maybe browse a little bit and then get the fuck out.

So we wait, and wait, and wait some more. Finally Master has me call her again. She says she wants to have dinner at Red Robin. That's one thing I never understood about my mother-in-law... if we're celebrating my birthday, Master's birthday, or our anniversary she wants to pick the restaurant every time. Now I understand she's paying the bill but she loves trying to pick restaurants that Master and I don't like. Red Robin is one of those. We hate the food there. So I asked if we could go to Applebee's instead. It's literally right next door to the damn Red Robin. And what does she do? She huffs and says fine. *sigh* Then she tops it all off saying that she doesn't want to do dinner until 7pm. Master and I normally eat at 5:30pm or a little after. So we grabbed some snacks so we're not starving by the time we eat dinner. Especially on a Saturday night at an Applebee's it's going to be packed and the food is going to take a while, not to mention we probably won't get a table right away.

Yeah. The more I think about this the more I'm dreading it. Master is dreading it as well, but we might as well get it over with now. Other wise she's just gonna be more of a pain in the ass about it until we get together. And then when we do meet up she's gonna be pissy because it wasn't done exactly on her time table. So yeah, we'll just get it over with now thank you very much.

Hopefully she doesn't try and do this with our anniversary. It's only a few weeks away and to me it's a big one. Eight years together and four years married. Four holds a spiritual significance to Master and I, which is why we got married on our four year anniversary. So it may not be the 5 year mark, but to me it's a big anniversary, which is why I took two days off of work for the weekend after our anniversary. I wanted to have more time with my Husband and I don't need her trying to elbow her way into it. Nope. Not happening. Not this time.

I'm starting to want to put my foot down with my mother-in-law more and more because for fucks sake we're adults and we aren't on her time schedule. Trust me she sounded shocked that I dared to say no we don't want to go to Red Robin, we want to go to Applebee's. It's one of the very few times I've told her no. Why? Because my mother-in-law is a martyr and it's normally just easier to go with what she wants, and also that way she doesn't try to make Master's night a living hell. And I try to make Master's life as pain free as possible. And that includes trying to deflect some of the shit with His mom.

But holy fucking hell there are times I just want to lay into her and watch as she just sits there in shock and then looks to Master to try me to shut up. It's very, very tempting but I have never done it. I just sit there and either make a small sarcastic remark or get a stupid smile plastered on my face.

Wow. That rant went on a bit longer than I thought it would.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment