July 10, 2013

Pen Name

I haven't started on that whole story thing yet. I haven't even created the Word document for it yet.

I thought about just creating the Word document, type in the title and my name as the author and then save it and close it until I was ready to start working on it again. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't done that yet. Maybe I will tonight. Or tomorrow.

I think part of the reason is that I haven't written anything aside from blog posts in so damn long. About seven to eight years actually. Holy shit. I just realized it had been that long as I was typing. Fucking hell.

Maybe I'm nervous about starting it. I could have technically started it as soon as Master brought it up. But I've been pushing it off. Part of it is because I am not looking forward to writer's block. And I know it'll happen. It happens to anyone writing anything. I've gotten writing block due to my blog for fucks sake.

But a thought crossed my mind that made me smile while I was thinking about writing this story. When I was writing it before, I wasn't married to Master yet. So, I was using my maiden name, obviously. But... now we're married. So I'd be writing under His last name.

I don't like pen names. I know why writers use them. But I don't like it. I'm not sure why. I guess because it can get confusing. And it also seems like you're selling out if you ever change it from your pen name to your real name.

Stephen King is a hell of a good example. I just got done talking to Master about this. Stephen King started his career as a writer under a pen name. Richard Bachman. Eventually Richard Bachman got too famous and Stephen wanted recognition. So he started using his real name and Richard Bachman died. That seems like a pretty shitty reason to stop using a pen name.

"Oh? I'm good at this and people love it? Well shit, I want people to know who I am! Cha-ching!"

Don't get me wrong I love a lot of Stephen King books. Nothing recent mind you, as I prefer his classics. 

So nope. No pen names for me. It's highly unlikely I'll ever get published but still. I want to use my real name.

(By the way, yes I know that technically my blog is under a pen name. But that's different to me. I'm not making any money and I'll never reveal my real name on here. It's a blog, not a book.)

2 comments:

  1. Very brave sweety. I do so hope you are right about the pen-name thing. I did think the same as you at first, I wanted to shout to the world "I'm proud of our lifestyle! It's wonderful, loving, fun. EVERYONE should try".
    But Hubby, far more cautious and not so spontaneous (LOL !!), talked me out of it.
    And, in retrospect, I do (grudingly) think he was right. You have been blogging longer than I, and perhaps your experiences are different to mine, but although 99% of the emails I get have been positive about our lifestyle, there have been the odd one or two negative (or "worrying" or "silly") messages.
    So, I would urge caution! I love your posts . . . and feel in someway connected. But my respect, and enjoyment of reading you, is not dulled or affected by your name here.
    Call me boring or old-fashioned, but I wouldn't want you to have your personal life compromised.
    Best, best wishes - Katie (aka Modesty) LOL !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, oh I had meant not using a pen name for writing a book. The blog will ALWAYS have a pen name.

    ReplyDelete