April 9, 2011

Writing

I decided last night to do a little bit more research on bipolar disorder and things that can help. I saw one thing listed that struck a chord with me. It said that writing can be very therapeutic. Now I know that this is for pretty much anyone who enjoys writing, not just people with bipolar disorder. But still.

I used to write quite a bit. I wrote poems and stories. Nothing that ever got published mind you, although that used to be a dream of mine. To be published. To have my name on something that is sold inside a bookstore. That's what I miss about leather bound books... names and titles were imprinted and it looked so dignified. Well to me at least.

But anyway, I loved writing. I also love reading.

What brought this up for my blog post, aside from reading about the therapeutic benefits last night, was when we watched The Ninth Gate tonight. Now that may seem like one hell of a jump, for those of you that know the movie, but it did deal with books. Massive libraries of old and rare books. And I was sitting there watching this movie thinking to myself about how those authors' names have lived through centuries. They names may not be known by all, but to some they are.

A lot of people want to be famous, rich, etc. Me? I just would find it very interesting to see how long my work could live on. Like I've said I've always wanted to be a published author. But I realized you can't guarantee a living that way, so I needed to get a 9 to 5 to make sure I could survive.

I'm no Neil Gaiman.

But I still love to write. Master and I actually co-wrote a story at one point. We never finished it. Things happened, we let it go, and now it's forever lost because we never backed it up and our computer crashed. Live and learn.

I'm thinking maybe I should go back to writing. I can't do it all the time, I couldn't sit down and crank out a couple of chapters a night or anything. But it would be nice to write a little each day. It really would. Or at least study up on things I want to include in the story. Will I ever get it published? Most likely not, although that would be fucking awesome. Hell, I may not even finish it. But at least it would be something productive. It would be a creative outlet. It would be something to focus on, besides every day life.

And the hell of it? I actually have an idea for the "book". I use the term loosely because like I said it'll probably never be read by anyone but myself and Master.

So I don't know. Maybe I could start on it tomorrow. And if I do finish it, I'll submit it for to publishers just for shits and giggles. Hey, ya never know until you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment