August 24, 2012

Living Dead Girl

You may be wondering why I didn't do a post last night. You may not be. I don't know, but I'm going to tell you why anyway.

While I was at work yesterday my neck and shoulders just got worse as the day was going on. The night prior to that I was in a lot of pain. I didn't want to move from the couch. I ended up going to bed early. Normally I ask to stay up a little or I wait until 11pm shows up on the clock and slowly make my way to the bedroom. But last night I just couldn't do it.

I woke up yesterday morning and I still was in quite a bit of pain but I had to go to work. I couldn't just call in. I couldn't afford to take the time off of work. But as the day progressed it just got to the point that I called Master and told Him I think it's a good idea if I went into an urgent care of emergency room so I could hopefully get a prescription that would help. He asked me if I wanted Him to go with. I told Him that it was okay for Him to stay home. There wasn't anything for Him to do for me and He absolutely hates hospitals. Thankfully I convinced the person in my carpool to leave work a half hour early. So I dropped him off, stopped at home really quick and then headed right back out. The urgent care was about to close so I just went to the ER. I got there at 5:30pm and I left at 9pm. Most of it was me sitting in the waiting room. I know that other people needed help more than I did but when I went in my pain level was about an eight. When they finally got me in a room my pain level was past 10.

I hate crying in front of people but around 15 minutes before I was brought into a room tears started to stream down my face. I was quiet and just kept wiping my eyes. The nurse that showed me to the room apologized that it had taken so long. I told her I understood. The minute I laid down on the hospital bed and the door was closed I couldn't keep it in anymore. The pain was over powering. I cried. I couldn't help it even though it hurt worse when I did. I was able to stop crying after a little while and just settled into a semi-comfortable position and watched a little TV until the doctor came into the room.

He already knew that I have fibromyalgia. He asked me where it was the worst and I told him it was in my neck and the tops of my shoulders but that by the time I was put in a room it was also between my shoulder blades.

He told me that he would get me my prescriptions as soon as possible and that they would discharge me as soon as they could so I could get the prescriptions filled and take them. He told me he could give me a shot right there and then but I would have to wait for a ride. Well, if I had done that I wouldn't have made it to the pharmacy in time to get them filled. So I just dealt with it, got to Walgreens, got the prescriptions filled, went home and immediately popped one of the muscle relaxers and one of the pain pills. It helped, a lot, once it finally kicked in.

I took some more today and it's taking the edge off. But sitting at a computer all day at work did not help the situation, but the pain was tolerable.

Again, once I got home I took some more medication. I'm so glad that tomorrow is Saturday.

Why the title? Well, this will sound stupid but being in the ER last night made me think of a time that was funny after the fact.

I was at a doctor's office for my fibromyalgia. This was quite some time ago. I was probably 17 at the time. It was really early in the morning. I had to get up at 3am to get there in time as the doctor was a good two hour drive from the house. So I got there and they did the normal blood pressure check and all that. While they did that they of course checked my heart beat. That seemed fine but apparently they thought my blood pressure was too low. So they checked my pulse. Don't ask me why. Apparently, they couldn't find a pulse on my wrist or my neck. They had three nurses check. Needless to say they were freaking out a bit. My heart was beating and I was alert and all that shit but they couldn't get a pulse. Fucked up right? Finally yet another nurse came in and she found it although it was weak. I was perfectly fine otherwise.

I found the entire situation hilarious. The nurses were kind of creeped out though.

No comments:

Post a Comment