November 11, 2013

First Snow

It's not even Thanksgiving and we already had snow today. Granted it only stuck to cars and grass. It melted as soon as it hit the pavement. That's a good thing though because I somehow doubt the city has their salt trucks totally ready to go yet. Because they are fucking lazy idiots.

However, that did not change the fact that I had to wipe off my car. Well, let me correct that. It looked like I would just have to brush off the snow. But as I got closer to the car I realized that nope. I would need to scrape it. Fuck. Thankfully I keep the snow brushes in the car all year round. That may sound stupid but the last thing you want to do in the winters around here is to forget to put your snow brush back in the car when winter hits. I heard quite a few of my coworkers complaining that they hadn't put theirs in their car yet. See! Just keep it in the damn car and you don't have to worry about that shit. I always keep the snow brushes in the car as well as container of antifreeze.

But now I have to buy two twenty pound bags of kitty litter. No, we don't have a cat. I'm going to put one on each side of my truck, right by the tire wells. It'll add some weight to the car while driving in snow and slush. And our car is extremely light. I honestly didn't do it last year. Because I'm a damn moron. As a result she fishtailed quite a bit during the bad snow storms. Also, the kitty litter comes in handy if you get stuck. If you can't maneuver yourself out of it you can just use a small shovel to get the snow away from your tires and then use some of the kitty litter to put around each tire to help get some traction.

Speaking of which I have to double check whether or not I still have the small shovel in the car from last year. I can't for the life of me remember if it's in there. That's kind of funny since it would be in the trunk and I am constantly opening and closing it. But when you get use to seeing something in your trunk all year you tend to forget it's even in there. It may have broke last year during that really nasty snow storm where I could just barely get the car out of the parking spot. And even then it took me a half hour just to do that. That was fun.

So, checklist...
  • Two snow brushes. A smaller one and a longer one. Also it helps in case you have two people doing it at the same time. It makes it easier and quicker. - √
  • Two twenty pound bags of kitty litter to toss in the trunk. - Still needed.
  • A small shovel to use to dig the car out if necessary. - Unsure
Yeah. I need to get that little "Wisconsin Snow Kit" together. I'll probably get everything together this weekend. It's not supposed to snow the rest of the week. And even if it did it wouldn't be severe enough to warrant the "Wisconsin Snow Kit". I honestly feel like an idiot for not getting it all together last year. I had two out of the three and of course I didn't take care of the one that will add weight to the back of the car.

It's not like it snowing this early is shocking. Hell, it's snowed much earlier than this. I was just a little surprised by it because we haven't even had that much frost. There have only been a few occasions where I had to scrape frost off my windshield first thing in the morning before going to work.

So yeah, I had to scrape off all of the windows on the car. I had to brush off snow from my headlights and brake lights. I also had to force my car door open. One of these days I'm going to fall right on my ass while doing that. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet, after all these years, honestly. And then of course while in the car the front windows didn't want to roll down until about thirty-five minutes into the forty-five minute drive home.

Oh well. I'll be better prepared next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment