October 30, 2014

Anxiety Rising

This is about the job I am really, really hoping that I get. Here is the post about the first interview and this is the post about the second interview.

At the second interview I had already filled out and signed all of the legal mumbo jumbo paperwork that they provided in order for them to run the background checks and all that happy horse shit. They told me that they would run them and that it would take anywhere from seven to fourteen days for it all to be done. Okay fine. It doesn't quite sound right... From my understanding those things take at most one or two days. But I don't know a lot about such things. I'm only going off what I had heard prior to this. *shrugs* They also told me that I would receive and e-mail telling me that it had been started. They went so far as to tell me that it may go to my spam folder.

The second interview happened last Thursday. Since that point I have been keeping an eye on my e-mail account, spam folder included. I didn't see anything. But then yesterday I received a phone call from the business I had applied to. My heart jumped. I thought it may be a job offer.

I was incorrect. They wanted to see if I had received the e-mail yet. I asked when they had sent it. Apparently they had sent it about ten minutes prior to them calling me. Of course I hadn't checked my e-mail between then and the phone call. I asked if I could place her on hold. She said that was fine. I checked my e-mail and sure as shit it was there. I got back on the phone with her and I told her that I received it. She thanked me and that was the end of the conversation.

I then opened the e-mail and it was telling me that I had to create an account and provide all of the information. I was confused because I thought that was what all of the paperwork I had signed and given them was for.

I felt a little stupid doing it, but I called them back to see if I should do that. I wanted to make sure that if I needed to do it, that I did. But I was concerned that maybe if I did do it, I would screw up their part of the process. It made sense to me at the time. Master said it makes sense too. I just hope it didn't make me sound stupid. Anyway, they told me that they believe that I should. Um. Okay?

I went ahead and did it. I created the account, entered the information (the same information I provided in person), and then submitted it.

I was honestly a little disappointed that they were just now running the background check. I was one of five people going through the second interview and they had told me that they were going to run background checks on all of them and then make a decision. I'm hoping that this doesn't mean I'm the one being the last one in line. I might be if they are going in alphabetical order by the last name. But to me, since I was the second of the five interviews that would have been done by now. I mean I know they said they were laid back and relaxed there but damn....

Master says it is still a good sign that they are doing it. I kind of feel the same way but since they had told me that they were doing it on all of the five people it doesn't really mean all that much.

This just seems backwards to me anyway. In all of my past jobs they offer you the job contingent on a background check/drug screen/etc. I've never had anyone do them first on all of the people who made it to the second interview and then decide who to hire.

Does this mean that I want the job any less? Hell no! I really, really want this job.

But now I am super gluing my cell phone to my side. This way I can't miss a phone call from them in case they do decide to hire me on. I normally have my phone near me anyway. But if I walk outside or something I'll just leave it on the table or dresser. But now I'm taking it with me no matter what.

I know I have absolutely nothing, and I do mean nothing, to worry about in the background check. I don't have any felonies, misdemeanors, or anything along those lines. I also have not lied about any part of my job history. So really, the only possible reason I wouldn't get the job at this point is because they decided to go with someone else.

I'm hoping I hear back from them really soon. The suspense is killing me here. My anxiety levels are going up. I'm trying to keep it down but it's difficult. This is the first job I've actually wanted. I mean I'll work anywhere but it would just be for the paycheck. But this job is super close to home, pays decently, and is an office work and customer service blend. And I rock at both of those.

I figure I'll just wait for them to contact me. I know I could e-mail them and ask if a decision has been made, but since I don't know exactly how long their process is going to take given the fact that they told me between seven and fourteen days and they only started it yesterday, I don't want to seem desperate or they are turned off by it since they may take it as my "bothering" them. I've come across that in the past and honestly felt like I shot myself in the foot even though I was very professional in my inquiry and felt I had waited long enough.

2 comments:

  1. Don't call. Don't call for at least 15 days. Good luck sitting on your hands and being patient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are likely outsourcing the background check. The last company I worked for did that and it took almost 3 weeks for them to finish it (and my record is clean too so it's not like they had to sort through a mess). It basically becomes like a stack of paperwork for someone whose job it is to run all these checks and compile the information.

    ReplyDelete