July 16, 2014

Busy Day

Today we finally got all of my dad's and uncle's stuff out of my grandpa's house. Well, all the big shit anyway. I know they both still have some small minor stuff they have to grab. But all of that can fit in the trunk of a car, so neither of them were worried about that today, thankfully.

It was kind of a cluster fuck yesterday. I sent my dad a text in the early afternoon to see what time he wanted us down there. He said he was going to rent the truck and then would let me know. No problem. Then, as it got closer to 7pm, I sent him another text just asking for an update. The next thing I know my uncle calls me and asks, "Did you just text your dad?"

Yep. Well, apparently my dad had been visiting him and had accidentally left his cell phone out there. So my uncle told me that he thinks my dad said to be there between 11:30am and noon. I said no problem and thanked him. I then sent a message to my dad's next door neighbor and asked him if he could double check with my dad. He informed me that my dad had literally pulled into the driveway, got out, swore his head off, got back in his car and left. I thanked him. At that point I knew my dad was heading back out to see my uncle and get his cell phone.

About a half hour later my dad sent me a text back and said that between 11:30am and noon was fine. *laughs* But at least we got it figured out.

When we pulled up today my dad already had the u-haul truck there. We helped him put a few things in there from his house and then went to my uncle's apartment and helped him get some of his stuff in the truck. Once all that was done we headed out to my grandpa's house. We unloaded the truck of their stuff. They want to try and sell it at the estate sale, which should be in a couple of weeks.

We put all of the large stuff they were taking from Grandpa's house and put it in the truck. We stayed there for a little while to catch our breath and so that my uncle could walk Grandpa's dog. As he was doing so I looked at my dad and said, "I feel kinda bad. I wish I could take the dog." My dad said he felt bad that he couldn't either. Once the sale of my grandpa's house is done they will be giving the dog back to the no-kill breed specific shelter that Grandpa adopted him from. None of us can take him because he has a lot of health issues. He is a great dog. Very loving. But none of us can afford his vet bills.

If I knew I could I would take him in a heartbeat. I truly would. But it's not fair to an animal when you adopt them and take them into your family but can't afford the medical attention they need. I know things come up, but this wonderful dog has preexisting conditions that we already know would cost a small fortune. So my uncle is keeping him as long as he can out at my grandpa's house and then will hand him back over to the shelter. The only thing that keeps my heart from completely breaking about that is the fact that I know that they are a no-kill shelter. If it wasn't a no-kill shelter I would just take the dog and find someone who can care for him and love him.

It still does break my heart a little though. It's not his fault that his "daddy" (my grandfather) can no longer take care of him. And now he has to go back to a shelter. Even though it's a really good one, I still feel bad. I would have loved it if he could have stayed within the family, but he can't. I really wish we could adopt him. I'm sure him and our dog would get along great. *smiles* But, like I said, it wouldn't be fair to the dog since we wouldn't be able to get him the proper medical attention he needs.

After that we basically reversed the process. We went back to my uncle's and got the few things he took and got them in his apartment. We then went back to my dad's house and got all of his things put into his house. Trust me, my dad took a lot. Actually more than I originally thought he was taking. I'm not judging him at all, I was just a bit surprised.

We stayed to visit for a while after that. We finally got home around 7pm. I felt kind of bad though because I couldn't really help all that much. A lot of it was too heavy for me to carry/help carry. But I did what I could and did my best to help out even if I couldn't lift a lot.

It's getting a bit harder to go out to my grandpa's house. Especially since every time I go there is less and less there. But I'll keep doing it as long as they need me to. After all I want to help out as much as I can. It should be all said and done soon.

As far as Grandpa himself goes, the drug he was one to keep him docile, for lack of a better term, is wearing off since they can't give it to him anymore. He has started yelling and cussing people out again. He hasn't thrown anything yet. So I guess that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment