June 23, 2014

Emotionally Confusing

I had called my father today because he had mentioned that he would need help with some things by the end of the month. Well, since this is the last full week of June I figured I would give him a ring and see what was up. Apparently he is pushing it off to the first week of July. That is one thing about my dad that can drive me crazy. He procrastinates. Especially if he's under a lot of stress, like he is right now.

Once I got that answer I asked if he would mind if Master and I came down to visit because we were bored. He said that would be great but to meet him out at Grandpa's house because he was going there to hang out with his brother, my uncle, who has been living out there since Grandpa has been in the rehabilitation center/nursing home in order to take care of Grandpa's dog.

Anyway...

Dad told me to call my uncle to make sure it was okay with him. I got a hold of him and he was fine with it. We got there around 3:30pm and rather than just a hang out and chill situation it turned into a mix of that as well as our looking around Grandpa's house to see if there was anything we wanted.

They are selling the house in order to help pay for Grandpa's care (it isn't cheap and the insurance is no longer covering any of it) and they have a buyer already lined up. So they have until October to get the entire house cleared out. They are hoping to get it all done sooner than October though so there is kind of a rush on that. All of the family members have to go through and take what they want. My dad and my uncle need to take their stuff. After that they will be having an estate sale and then finally once all of that is done and over with the house will be officially sold to the buyer that is already lined up.

So Master and I went through the things we wanted to look through. Well, actually I went through things and Master pretty much just shadowed me. I took a small box full of things. Some of it was books, some old German beer steins, a wooden picture from Germany, as well as a few collectables that reminded me of both my grandma and my grandpa. We also took one of the recliners and an end table. Well, actually the end table is still there because after we shoved the recliner in the car there wasn't any room left for the end table. But that will be the only other thing we'll be taking from the house.We'll just pick that up when we go back out there to help them get some of the bigger items they want out of the house.

My brother showed up towards the end of our visit. He actually showed up just as I was taking the small box out to the car. So as a I was walking to the car I asked him if he wanted to look through the box and see if he wanted any of what I was taking. I am just trying to be as fair as possible. He said it was okay and that he didn't need to look through it.

After my brother showed up we only stayed about another half hour. We had been there for about three hours by that point and it was hot in the house. My dad was also leaving. Once we got home and we got everything in the house (the bottom of the recliner is fucking heavy by the way) I sent a text to my brother apologizing for leaving so quickly and said that we should find a day to hang out together.

I'm pretty sure that after we left my brother went through and took some things or at least stated that he wanted them and would pick them up later. Then the only person left would be my mother. Once she goes through the rest that hasn't been "ear marked" would go up for sale and then the house will be sold.

Almost immediately after dinner I felt severely tired. Just absolutely drained. I'm sure some of it is from the heat at Grandpa's house and the fact that I had just finished eating. But I think another part is that going through the house and picking out items took more out of me emotionally than I thought it would.

It just feels incredibly odd knowing that Grandpa is still alive but we are basically clearing out his house and taking things we want. But I know that the house needs to be sold and so we need to take the things we want now. It was just surreal and emotionally confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment