April 11, 2012

Trying Not To Get My Hopes Up

I am currently trying not to get my hopes up. Why? Well, it started this afternoon when Master called me. I had just gotten off my lunch break. He started off by saying that He was hoping to catch me before my lunch break. Well, I took my lunch at 11:30am and He called at noon. So, that part didn't work out that well. When He said that though it sparked my curiosity. It turns out that there was a voice mail on the home phone when He got back from running some errands. A head hunter agency (not a temp agency) had called to speak with me regarding a job opening one of their clients have. And it's a very, very well known head hunting company in this area.

That was the reason He wanted to catch me before I went on lunch. He was hoping I could use my lunch break to call this person back as the voice mail had hinted that it was a damn good job.

So the fact that I had already taken a lunch sucked. I don't get 15 minute breaks. So, I thought about it for a moment and then decided to call him on my work phone. I was really nervous about doing it but I wanted to hop on this as soon as possible in case it leads somewhere. Plus, I figured if anyone heard me I would just say that I'm looking for a second job.

I didn't get him on the first call though. I left him a voice mail and then waited about an hour and called again. Thankfully the second time I was able to get a hold of him. I was grateful that he understood the fact that I am at my job, on their phone. So he understood why I couldn't go into great detail with my answers at that time. But the job he described sounded wonderful.

He told me that he would send me an e-mail (my personal e-mail) with a further description of the job and asked that I get back to him as soon as possible to let him know if I was interested or not. It was the "as soon as possible" part that made me even more interested.

Since this was a little after 1pm I figured that the e-mail would be there when I got home. When it wasn't I worried that maybe he had copied it off my resume incorrectly. I didn't want to seem pushy but I decided to call him anyway.

He was actually glad that I had called him. He hadn't sent the e-mail just yet, as he was literally in the process of doing so when I called him. I apologized for that and he said that he was glad that I called as I could now speak more freely.

He seemed incredibly pleased with my answers and said he would send the e-mail as soon as I got off the phone with him and asked me to please respond as soon as possible. He stressed that their client actually prefers obtaining people from my current employer due to experience, etc. My current employer is also extremely well known in it's category.

So, I got the e-mail and the job sounds great! The pay? Yeah, more than I'm making now. And the drive is only 11 miles from our home rather than the 25.9 miles that my current job is. So I responded to the e-mail to let him know that I'm interested.

I'm excited about it, I won't lie. But I am keeping in mind that this isn't even an interview yet. He has to present my information to their client and then it's up to the client from there. But like I said, I'm excited. Being excited and not getting my hopes up is difficult. But I don't want to set myself up for disappointment anymore than I have to. Ya know? Regardless, at this point I'm feeling confident. After all, they came to me. I hadn't even applied with their head hunting company. They had come across my resume on one of the job posting websites and decided to contact me. To me, that's already a step in the right direction. So, I'm going to hope while trying to keep myself in check at the same time. I have a feeling this is going to drive me nuts until I know for sure.

2 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! I got my job with my current employer in a very similar way, and it was the best move I ever made. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete